The Leibniz Competition is designed to accelerate the achievement of the Leibniz Association’s strategic objectives as part of the Joint Initiative for Research and Innovation. The measures are intended to fulfil the institutes’ duty to perform research and operate research infrastructures at the highest level, and to publicise the resulting successes.
With its fixed-term funding programmes, the Leibniz Competition provides incentives intended to stimulate the Leibniz Association’s continued profile development. In this regard, it is purposefully different to the measures of other funding organisations and institutional funding.
The Leibniz Competition 2019 accentuates
- The expansion of person-specific funding with the aim of attracting and promoting young (international) talent and promoting highly qualified academics in a targeted manner;
- The promotion of internationalisation, in particular by means of Leibniz Junior Research Groups;
- The stimulation of strategic collaborations with universities and the targeted promotion of highly qualified female academics by means of the Leibniz Programme for Women Professors;
- The profile development of the Leibniz Association as a collaborative academic organisation by means of the Leibniz Collaborative Excellence funding programme;
- The transfer of knowledge and technology and the pioneering further development of research infrastructures by means of the Leibniz Transfer funding programme.