Open Access Working Group (AK Open Access)
AK Open Access was established in September 2005 in response to the signing of the “Berlin Declaration” whereby the Leibniz Association, together with the other science organisations, committed itself to promoting and driving open access. In this context it was considered necessary and meaningful to develop a basic position on open access for the Leibniz Association as a whole and to institute ongoing monitoring of the process. The tasks of the working group are
- to prepare an official statement on open access and the consequences arising from it for the Leibniz Association as well as to make recommendations for dealing with open access issues within the Leibniz Association
- to monitor the development of the open access process and establish appropriate responses
- to represent the Leibniz Association both on existing and emerging external committees and working groups on open access
- gradually to extend open access to embrace the broader theme of e-science; to monitor resulting issues for and liaise with the Leibniz Association, and to enhance networking on the entire area within the Leibniz Association
- to inform Leibniz institutions about new developments in open access and to advise on any issues arising from it.