3 Postdoc Positions in: Quantitative International Trade Empirical International Trade and Investment Geopolitics and Economics
Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW)
The Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW) seeks applications for
3 Postdoc Positions in:
Quantitative International Trade
Empirical International Trade and Investment
Geopolitics and Economics
The positions will be linked to the Research Center “Trade Policy” and “International Trade and Investment” as well as to the Research Initiative “Geopolitics and Economics”. Our research groups are young, dynamic and international. We focus on international trade, trade policy, as well as on international political economy and geopolitics.
The positions are strongly research oriented. There is no teaching obligation and there is only a very light administrative burden. Most importantly, you will be expected to work on relevant, high-quality research and to publish in leading economics journals. You will also be expected to contribute to the policy activities of the Kiel institute, although ideally the policy work should be based on your research output.
We are looking for candidates who meet the following criteria:
- PhD in economics or a closely related field (completed or close to completion).
- Excellent academic record and outstanding research potential.
- Experience and interest in international economics and/or international political economy
- The working language is English; excellent English skills are therefore required. Some knowledge of German would be useful, but is not essential.
- First publications are an asset but not a requirement.
For the position in quantitative trade:
- Excellent programming skills are required. Experience with programming in R is an asset.
- Also experience with applied quantitative models is required.
For the position in empirical trade and investment:
- Experience with econometrics packages such as Stata is required.
- Experience with large micro data sets is required.
- Excellent programming skills and experience with programming in R are an asset.
For the position in geopolitics and economics:
- Expertise in the broad area of geopolitics/geoeconomics is required (for a list of topics see here).
- Experience with large-scale data management and/or historical data collection is an asset.
- Expertise on China and/or with Chinese data is an asset.
The planned contract period is three years, ideally starting soon (in the spring/summer of 2023), but a later start date or shorter contract is possible. Also an extension of up to six years is possible. The salary will be based on the German public sector pay scale at grade EG 13 TV L. The position is full-time, but part-time employment is possible.
The Kiel Institute is an equal opportunity employer with a certified family-friendly policy. We promote the professional opportunities of women and strongly encourage them to apply. Women with equivalent qualifications, competence, and expertise will be given preference. We are committed to employing persons with recognized disabilities and will therefore give them preference over persons without disabilities if they are equally qualified.
Please submit your application online, using the Econ Job market portal for economists: https://econjobmarket.org/positions/9049.
Application photos should not be included.
The review process starts in November or early December. Please include a letter of interest indicating your preference for one of the three positions, your CV, transcripts of your academic record and your job market paper and make sure letters of reference are linked to your application. For additional information, please contact Prof. Inga Heiland (inga.heiland(at)ifw-kiel.de), Prof. Holger Görg (holger.goerg(at)ifw-kiel.de) or Prof. Christoph Trebesch (christoph.trebesch(at)ifw-kiel.de).