Administrative Assistant (f/m/d)
WZB Berlin Social Science Center
The Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung gGmbH (WZB Berlin Social Science Centre), research unit Institutions and Political Inequality IPI (Director Professor Macartan Humphreys) seeks to hire an
Administrative Assistant (f/m/d)
with an initial contract duration of two years (extension is an option). The expected start date is 1 October 2021. The appointment is made at 50% (currently 19,5 hours/week) of the regular working hours.
The WZB Berlin Social Science Center is a publicly financed research institution that conducts leading edge theory-based and problem-oriented social science research (http://www.wzb.eu/en). WZB researchers come from across the globe and work across social science disciplines including sociology, political science, economics, law, and psychology. A member of the Leibniz Association, WZB’s research is directed at the science community, policy makers, the media and the general public.
The research department Institutions and Political Inequality (IPI) uses observational and experimental methods to study major problems related to the political economy of social and political inequality with a focus on the political economy of international development.
Your tasks and duties
- Independent organization of the work processes in the Director’s office (in a team with one to two other colleagues)
- Written and oral correspondence in German, English, and preferably in an additional language
- Support in planning and organizing events and conferences of the department
- Caring for the unit’s international guests
- Planning travels, preparing travel reimbursement documents, and undertaking other administrative and organizational tasks for the department
- Maintenance of the department website and in-house digital administration systems
- Processing incoming and outgoing mail (including filing)
- Editing of manuscripts (proofreading, working on index, footnotes, and layout)
- Coordination of scientific publications
- Composing letters and e-mails from keywords
- Preparing graphics, tables, and PowerPoint presentations
- Internet and literature research
- Preparation and follow-up of appointments (e.g., committee and unit meetings)
- Experience in the above-mentioned field of activity, preferably in a scientific institution
- Qualification as Foreign Language Assistant or comparable knowledge
- Excellent oral and written skills in German and English languages, and preferably in an additional language
- Confident handling of common computer software such as MS Office
- Very good use of the Internet
- Exceptional organisational skills and a keen attention to detail
- A high level of team spirit and initiative, as well as a strong sense of responsibility and the willingness to learn
- A confident and friendly demeanour
- Remuneration in accordance with TVöD Bund (up to EG 9a in accordance with the German public service collective agreement and depending on the qualification)
- Additional benefits for public service employees (VBL U)
- A well-equipped workplace in the center of Berlin
- International, cooperative, and diverse work environment
- Thorough instruction and guidance
- Flexible working hours
- We promote a good work-life balance, and our engagement has been certified by audit workandfamily and the European Commission’s Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R)
- Comprehensive program for continuous professional development and further qualification, in the own discipline and beyond
- Cafeteria with modern recreation rooms
- discounted VBB company ticket
Equally qualified applicants with disabilities will be preferred. We value diversity and welcome all applications – irrespective of gender, nationality, ethnic or social origin, religion, disability, age, or sexual orientation. WZB expressly encourages women or persons with migration backgrounds to apply.
Please start your application by following the steps outlined here. We will evaluate all complete applications received by (and including) 8 August 2021.
Candidates are requested to submit the following documents (all in English) in a single PDF-file.
- Cover letter
- Proof of qualification
- Relevant job references
Job interviews will likely take place in the week starting on 23 August 2021.
More information about the WZB can be found at https://www.wzb.eu/en and about IPI at https://wzb.eu/en/research/political-economy-of-development/institutions-and-political-inequality.
If you have any questions regarding this job opening, please contact application-ipi(at)wzb.eu.