Biodiversity Computer Scientist (m/f/d)
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Frankfurt am Main
The Senckenberg Society for Nature Research was founded in 1817 and is one of the most important research institutions around biological diversity. At its eleven sites throughout Germany, scientists from over 40 nations conduct cutting-edge research on an international scale. The headquarter is in the Main metropolis of Frankfurt in the heart of Germany. It is also home to one of Senckenberg's best-known facilities, the Senckenberg Natural History Museum.
The Senckenberg Society for Nature Research headquartered in Frankfurt am Main, is seeking to fill a vacancy as soon as possible for the central coordination office of the BMBF-Research Initiative for the Conservation of Biodiversity (FEdA) at the Frankfurt site.
Biodiversity Computer Scientist (m/f/d)
Your tasks include
Support of the head of the central coordination office and the scientific spokesperson of the research initiative in the field of biodiversity informatics; this includes in particular:
- Development of a sustainable, coordinated, and demand-oriented data management concept for the research initiative
- Design and implementation of user interfaces (web-based) for database applications
- Design and implementation of ETL processes
- Technical support/implementation of a local cloud solution for research data
- Design, implementation and maintenance of an expert database, a meta-database for the research initiative data, as well as the visualization of the data
- Development and maintenance of a literature database for collaboration partners of the research initiative
- Professional and technical support on data related topics for the project partners of the research initiative
- Implementation and maintenance of interfaces to the federal Research Data Infrastructure via APIs (e.g. generic: DOIP, gRPC, OAI-PMH, REST; domain specific: ABCD/BIOCASE)
- Implementation of the technical tasks of the data management concept
- Scientific, technical and organizational support for data issues of the synthesis work for the collaborative and project partners of the research initiative.
- A university degree with IT-relevant reference or related disciplines
- Proven professional experience in the field of software and web development
- Programming experience in Python or other programming languages (e.g. Go, Java)
- Experience in the operation and administration of Linux systems
- Experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL, MariaDB) as well as database queries (SQL)
- Experience with standard web application development (JSON, XML, REST APIs)
- Knowledge of CI/CD pipelines, Docker, Git and/or shell scripting is a plus
- Knowledge of document-oriented databases and processing (e.g. Solr, Elasticsearch, SPARQL, Neo4J, MongoDB) is a plus
- Relevant experience with ecological or biodiversity data.
- Experience in interdisciplinary research environments
- Confident speaker of German and English, both written and spokeworking style
- Team worker with both excellent communication skills and a service- and goal-oriented working style
We offer you
- An attractive and challenging job in a globally renown research institution
- A salary commensurate with the importance of the tasks and the requirements of the position
- Flexible working hours - support with childcare or caring for family members (certified by the "audit berufundfamilie") – Senckenberg badge in connection with free admission to many municipal museums - special annual payment according to the collective agreement - vacation entitlement according to the collective agreement - company pension plan
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Scope of employment: Full-time (40 hours/week)
Type of contract: Limited until 31 January 2025; Subject to the extension of the project, an extension of the employment relationship will be sought. The position can be filled as soon as possible.
Salary: According to the public collective agreement (TV-H) E 12
Senckenberg aims to increase the proportion of women. Qualified female candidates are therefore particularly encouraged to apply. Senckenberg is certified by the "audit berufundfamilie". Compliance with the guidelines for the severely disabled and the provisions of the law on part-time work is guaranteed.
You would like to apply?
Then please send your complete and meaningful application documents (CV, training and work references, certificates and credentials, letter of motivation), in electronic form (as one continuous PDF file) by 19. December 2022, quoting the reference number #01-22054 to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Head of the Central Coordination of the BMBF Research Initiative for the Conservation of Biodiversity, Dr. Julian Taffner, julian.taffner(at)senckenberg.de, phone: +49/ (0) 69 / 7542-1302.