Coordinator of the forest reserve project (m/f/d)
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Frankfurt am Main
For over 200 years the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) represents one of the most relevant institutions investigating nature and its diversity. Currently, scientists from more than 40 countries across 11 locations in Germany conduct research in the fields of biodiversity, earth system analysis and climate change.
Following its mission to “analyze and document biodiversity in earth system dynamics – to serve science and society” Senckenberg stands for curiosity-driven and application-oriented collections-based research. In the Department of Terrestrial Zoology at the Senckenberg Research Institute in Frankfurt am Main we conduct long term zoological research in German forest reserves since 1990. To continue this research the Senckenberg Society for Nature Research seeks to fill a position of a
Coordinator of the forest reserve project (m/f/d)
We are looking for a recognized biologist with experience in forest biodiversity research, project coordination, and public relations. We expect excellent knowledge of the Central European Aculeata, Heteroptera or Coleoptera (identification, ecology, faunistics). Additional knowledge of Lumbricidae, Araneae, Lepidoptera or Aves, the other of our seven target groups, is appreciated. The successful candidate will continue our long term research in forest reserves (following the retirement of our current coordinator). The project aim is to further develop a state-of-the-art monitoring and research concept for the fauna of natural forest reserves (primarily in Hessen) and for the newly established areas of natural forest development. The concept should integrate at least expert identification and molecular methods of species identification. Access to Senckenberg’s extensive collections is a great point of reference. We expect good knowledge on collection management and a responsible handling of the collections.
- Coordinate the forest reserve project in cooperation with the Hessian ministry of the environment (Hessisches Ministerium für Umwelt, Klimaschutz, Landwirtschaft und Verbraucherschutz) and forestry agencies (HessenForst, Nordwestdeutsche Forstliche Versuchsanstalt)
- Lead the project team of scientific and technical staff, as well as students and volunteers
- Develop an updated monitoring concept for forest reserves and natural forest areas
- Coordinate and conduct field research
- Identify collected specimens and provide expert knowledge on one of the following groups (Aculeata, Heteroptera, Coleoptera).
- Supervise the project collections, the associated library and ACCESS-database
- Actively publish results of your research in national and international scientific journals and popular scientific journals
- Contribute to Senckenbergs outreach activities on behalf of forests and forest biodiversity
- Experience in project management
- Proficiency in working with modern research infrastructure and innovative methods in species monitoring and determination
- Excellent knowledge of Aculeata, Heteroptera or Coleoptera (identification, ecology, faunistics)
- Doctoral degree in biology/zoology or related field
- Fluency in English both spoken and written; good knowledge of German
- Good interpersonal skills for contract negotiations and personnel management
What awaits you?
- Excellent infrastructures, reference collections, and opportunities for collaboration e.g. in faunistics, taxonomy, biodiversity genomics, evolutionary biology, ecology, statistical and ecological modelling
- An attractive and challenging position in a research institution of international standing
- A salary that reflects the tasks and responsibilities of the position based on the collective agreement for public service in the state of Hessen (TV-H E 13)
- Flexible working hours – annual special payment – company pension scheme – 30 days holidays – discounted job-ticket for public transportation in the Rhein-Main area
- Research is conducted in cooperation with and financially supported by “Landesbetrieb HessenForst”. The project is running since 1990 in three-years-contracts. The recent contract covers the period 2020-2022.
The contract should start no later than November 1st, 2021 and is initially limited to 24 months. Senckenberg is an equal opportunity employer and places an emphasis on fostering career opportunities for women. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply. Senckenberg is certified by “audit berufundfamilie”. We guarantee adherence to the severely disabled directives and the law on part-time employment. The duty station will be Frankfurt am Main.
You would like to apply?
Please send your application documents (cover letter outlining your motivation and pertinent job and research experience, CV including a list of publications, names and addresses of three references (compiled into a single PDF file)), mentioning the reference of this job offer (ref.#01-21006) before March 15th, 2021 by e-mail to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main