Curator of Apterygota (m/f/d)
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Frankfurt am Main
For over 200 years the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) represents one of the most relevant institutions investigating nature and its diversity. Currently, scientists from more than 40 countries across 11 locations in Germany conduct research in the fields of biodiversity, earth system analysis and climate change.
The Senckenberg Society for Nature Research intends to fill at the Department of Soil Zoology of the Senckenberg Museum of Natural History in Görlitz, Germany, the position of a
Curator of Apterygota (m/f/d)
- Assume responsibility for the management and curatorship of the collection of apterygote insects
- Developing and expanding the collection of apterygote insects, especially Collembola in Görlitz
- Conduct collection-based research on the biology of soil organisms with a focus on Collembola
- Initiate and manage research projects and actively participate in joint projects with other scientists at the department of soil zoology, and beyond
- Acquisition of third-party funding
- Developing Edaphobase, the international database on soil invertebrates
- Actively publish results of your and the department´s research in higher-ranked international scientific journals
- Academic education of students and supervise practical work in the course of their academic qualification
- Participation in the publication of scientific journals
- Participation in activities of the Science and Society program of Senckenberg
- Doctoral degree in zoology or related field
- Excellent knowledge of integrative taxonomy and systematics of Collembola and/or analysis concerning environmental influences on Collembolan communities
- Outstanding research record in biology of Collembola, documented by publications in international peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Knowledge in (functional) character traits of Collembola
- Experience in curating and managing zoological collections and databases
- Knowledge in molecular taxonomy and population genetics would be desirable
- Interest in collection-based research
- Experience in the acquisition of third-party funding
- Fluency in English both spoken and written; good knowledge of German would be an advantage
- Motivation, engagement and willingness for independent scientific work, teamwork and willingness to lead a subordinate staff
What is awaiting you?
- An attractive and challenging position in a research institution of international standing
- A salary that reflects the tasks and responsibilities of the position based on the collective agreement for public service in the state of Saxony (TV-L E 13)
- Flexible working hours – annual special payment – company pension scheme – 30 days holidays
The contract should start as soon as possible and will be initially limited. The Senckenberg Research Institutes support equal opportunity of men and women in management positions and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of employment is Görlitz, Germany. The employer is the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung.
You would like to apply?
Please send your application documents, mentioning the reference of this job offer (Ref. #08-19013) before January 15th, 2020 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document), to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
For more information, please contact Prof. Dr. Willi Xylander, phone: +49 3581 – 4760 – 5100.