Data Curator/Data Steward for Marine Data (gn)
Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (ZMT), Bremen
The Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (ZMT) in Bremen is a member of the Leibniz Association, which is supported by the German Federal and State Governments. Through its research, ZMT contributes to developing strategies for sustainable use of tropical coastal systems.
Die Working Group Scientific Data Services is looking for a
Data Curator / Data Steward for Marine Data (gn)
Part time 75%
(Kennziffer: 236 – DigiZ)
The integration of large and heterogeneous data volumes is one of the most important future tasks of science. In order to achieve viable projections for complex tropical socio-ecological systems, ZMT integrates and compares heterogeneous research data from tropical coastal regions. This requires not only excellent data access, but also the consistent expansion of Data Science expertise at the ZMT. With DigiZ, interdisciplinary expertise also flows into the research data infrastructure of the international marine research landscape.
The position and scope
With us, you have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to data curation and access in accordance with the rules of “good scientific practice” and the FAIR/CARE Data Principles. In this context, you will take on tasks in all phases of data publication: from the editorial review of the data and metadata, the technical data preparation and the final provision of the data in the specific research data base.
- Processing, transformation into standard formats and quality control of marine data, data products and metadata in dialogue with submitting scientists and data publishers (e.g. PANGAEA)
- Curation and archiving of data from (semi-)automatic data flows
- Analyse and evaluate complex scientific data sets and descriptive metadata
- Further development and adaptation of the data and data type concepts
- Consulting and schooling of ZMT scientists on data curation
- Collaboration and coordinating activities from concept to data storage together with tropical marine partners
- Participation in regular meetings of the workgroup, data publishers and other tropical marine partners
- Completed natural science degree (bachelor, diploma or master, PhD), with experience in scientific publishing
- Ability and interest in interdisciplinary, intercontinental, and intercultural work in tropical marine sciences
- The capacity to collaborate effectively within a heterogeneous team
- Willingness to further educate
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Interest in developing technological solutions to data management challenges, including spreadsheet applications and/or using programming languages
- Experience in metadata description and their use for scientific data publishing
The part-time position (75%) is initially limited to two years; permanent employment is sought. Salary will be paid according to the German TV-L EG 13.
For additional information please contact Dr. Birte Pfeiffer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- A dynamic, interdisciplinary and distinctly international research environment
- Interesting, versatile and demanding tasks
- Family-friendly working conditions with certification by the Work and Family Audit
- Varied health promotion measures
The ZMT offers a strongly international working environment, a high level of interdisciplinary research (ranging from applied mathematics and physics, to geoscience, ecology and social science), and a highly collaborative research philosophy. Bremen is a family and bicycle-friendly city with a rich cultural and scientific environment and proximity to a range of relevant collaborating institutes.
ZMT is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants with a migration background are welcome. Disabled persons with comparable qualification receive preferential status.
We will be happy to accept your documents without a photo. (*gender neutral)
Submission of application:
Please send your application, including a short motivation letter, copies of degrees, a complete CV, names with email addresses and telephone numbers of two personal references, by 31 August 2022 as a single pdf file with the reference number “236-DigiZ” to Ms. Lena Oehlmann (bewerbung(at)leibniz-zmt.de).
Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (ZMT) GmbH, Fahrenheitstraße 6, D-28359 Bremen