Doctoral position (m/f/d)
Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK)
The climate needs bright minds. The Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) addresses crucial scientific questions in the fields of global change, climate impacts and sustainable development. It is one of the world's leading research institutions in its field and offers natural and social scientists from around the world an inspiring environment for excellent interdisciplinary research.
For the project on modelling of future long-term climate change scenarios to support development of the safe disposal of high-level radioactive waste funded by BGE (The federal company for radioactive waste disposal). PIK is offering a
Doctoral position (m/f/d)
(Position number: 01-2022-PhD Radon)
in the field of Earth system modelling, starting on 1.3.2022.
The position is initially funded until 15.10.24, but is expected to be extended to fulfill the formal three-year term for a doctoral contract. Remuneration is in accordance with the German public tariff scheme (TV-L Brandenburg), salary group E 13. This is a part-time position with a weekly working time of 30 hours per week (75%).
- performing long-term future simulations with an Earth system model of intermediate complexity CLIMBER-X for different anthropogenic emission scenarios
- performing comprehensive analysis of model results, participating in project meetings and contributing to project reports
- presenting results at international conferences, publishing results in academic journals
- master degree in physics, mathematics or Earth sciences
- good programming skills, preferably in a higher programming language
- a strong motivation and good organizational skills
- team-oriented, strong oral communication and writing skills in English and German
- the ability to work independently and on your own initiative
- a methodical and systematic approach
- structured and goal-oriented thinking
- capacity to familiarise yourself quickly with new topics
- creativity and openness to new approaches
- reliability, the ability to cope with stress, and a high level of motivation
- willingness to travel for work (project meetings, workshops etc.) and take part in further training
- organisational talent
- the chance to be part of a creative, interdisciplinary team,
- a stimulating working environment in an internationally recognised research institute on Potsdam's beautiful, historic Telegrafenberg campus, a short commuting distance from Berlin
- flexi-time and mobile working (up to 40% of your hours)
- a collective pay scheme and associated benefits as well as a subsidized travel card
PIK seeks to increase the share of women in scientific positions and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. In cases of equal qualification and within the given legal scope, women will be given preference. Applications by persons with a migration background are expressly encouraged. Applications of disabled persons with equal qualifications will be regarded favourably. PIK also encourages applications by parents returning from parental leave.
Please apply by 7.2.2022directly using ourapplication form. If you hold an international higher education qualification, please also submit the Statement of Comparability from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) with your application. In the case that you do not yet have a ZAB Statement of Comparability for your qualification, please be aware that you will need to request this if your application is successful. You can find further information on this website https://www.kmk.org/zab/central-office-for-foreign-education.html.
For further information or to discuss the position please contact Dr. Andrey Ganopolski, andrey(at)pik-potsdam.de, Telephone +49 (0)331-288-2594.