Doctoral Position (m/f/d)
Leibniz Institute for Solid State and Materials Research Dresden (IFW)
The Leibniz Institute for Solid State and Materials Research Dresden (IFW Dresden) is a non-university research institute and a member of the Leibniz Association. The IFW employs approximately 600 people and one focus is on the training of young scientists besides enhancing fundamental and applied research development. At the highest international level, the IFW operates modern materials science on a scientific basis and makes the obtained results useful for the economy. The complex and interdisciplinary research work is carried out within the IFW by five scientific institutes, which are supported by a highly developed technical infrastructure. The IFW supports its employees in reconciling work and family life and regularly submits to the berufundfamilie® audit.
The Institute for Complex Materials offers within the working group Micro- and Nanostructures a
Doctoral Position (m/f/d)
starting at 1.1.2021 in part-time with 28 hours per week limited to 12 months with the possibility of an extension for another 2 years.
Your main tasks:
- Planning, implementation and evaluation of scientific experiments with a focus on "Building with electric fields: boosting the engineering of 2D and heterogeneous materials with electron beams"
- Participation in a research cooperation between BAM Berlin and IFW Dresden for the production of 2D nanomaterials in the transmission electron microscope (TEM)
- As a successful candidate (m/f/d) you should have a Master’s degree or Diploma in Material Science, Physics or a similar subject.
- The start of the doctorate is expected.
- Knowledge of the imaging mechanisms of transmission electron microscopy (TEM) is required for the research and development task.
- Practical experience with the TEM is very desirable.
- Furthermore, knowledge and experience in the production of layer systems from electrically conductive and non-conductive materials using CVD are an advantage.
- As an internationally oriented research institution, we require, in addition to willingness to work in a team and confident use of the common MS programs and technical and scientific graphics software (e.g. Origin), very good knowledge of both written and spoken English and German.
The salary is according to the German tariff TV-L (EG 13, planned with part-time work with 28 hours per week). The employment is starting 01.01.2021.
The IFW would like to increase the proportion of women in science. Qualified women are therefore explicitly invited to apply. Severely disabled applicants (m/f/d) are given preferential treatment if they have the same qualifications.
If you are interested in the position, please send your application including a CV and the list of publications, a motivation letter describing the research career goals, skills and experience, copies of certificates citing the reference number 010-21-3110 as a single pdf file (other formats will not be accepted) to the following email-address bewerbung(at)ifw-dresden.de.
The position is open till 06.12.2020.
Please contact Dr. Ignacio Guillermo Gonzales Martinez (i.g.gonzales.martinez(at)ifw-dresden.de) for more information.
Further information at www.ifw-dresden.de.