Doctoral Researcher (f/m/d)
Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology - Hans Knöll Institute (HKI), Jena
The Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology – Hans Knöll Institute – (Leibniz-HKI, www.leibniz-hki.de) investigates the pathobiology of human-pathogenic fungi and identifies targets for the development of novel natural product-based antibiotics. The Research Group Systems Biology and Bioinformatics invites talented and highly gifted candidates to apply for a
Doctoral Researcher (f/m/d)
for 3 years.
The Systems Biology & Bioinformatics (SBI) group of Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology, Hans Knöll Institute (HKI), Jena, Germany, is seeking a PhD student in the area of multi-omics integration to develop novel therapeutic treatments for infectious diseases. SBI is active participant of several national and international collaborations aiming to tackle infectious diseases. The successful candidate will work on the identification of host biomarker signatures that can enable early diagnosis of infections and sepsis, and that can trigger early pre-symptomatic treatment. Appropriate subsets of sepsis patients to target with novel therapies will be identified and combinatorial therapies will be designed using chemical-protein interactions networks. He/ she will work closely with wet-lab scientists and clinicians to discover new molecular mechanisms of pathogens.
- MSc degree in Systems Biology, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Biophysics, Computer Science or a related discipline
- Knowledge and experience in the analysis of biological high-throughput data
- Knowledge in statistical methods in the context of biological systems
- Programming experience (Python, Perl, C++, R).
- Well-developed collaborative skills
A strong interest in conducting collaborative research on the topic outlined above is paramount. Candidates are expected to be interested in working at the boundaries of several research domains.
We offer: The successful candidates will be hosted at HKI’s SBI group. We offer an international and multi-disciplinary environment with a strong expertise in the proposed research field and a convivial working atmosphere in an interdisciplinary and international research environment. Currently the group consists of approximately 15 members at different levels of seniority.
SBI is currently coordinating a Marie Curie ITN Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme and is an active participant of the Cluster of Excellence “Balance of the Microverse” and CRC/ Transregio 124 “Pathogenic fungi and their human host: Networks of interaction” funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. More information on the research output of the group can be found here.
Life in Jena
- Jena is a city with high quality of life, central for trips to major cities (Weimar, Leipzig, Dresden, Berlin, Munich) and surrounded by beautiful nature, perfect for hiking, biking and winter sports
- Jena was awarded the title "City of Science" from the Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft in 2008
- The city is also a hub for notable life science companies, enabling the transfer from academia to industry
Salary is according to German TV-L (salary agreement for public service employees). As an equal opportunity employer the HKI is committed to increase the percentage of female scientists and therefore especially encourages them to apply.
Please contact Assoc. Prof. Dr. Gianni Panagiotou | +49 3641 532 1759 | career(at)leibniz-hki.de
Complete applications in English should include a CV, a complete list of publications, a brief statement of research experiences, the addresses of two possible referees, and should be submitted by November 30, 2019 via the online application system.
Job Advertisement HKI-21/2019