Doctoral Researcher (m/f/d)
Leibniz Institute of Photonic Technology (IPHT), Jena
The Leibniz Institute of Photonic Technology (Leibniz-IPHT) offers the following position (65%) in the Research Department of Spectroscopy and Imaging at the Fiber Spectroscopic Sensors Group starting September 1st 2021 or at the next possible time:
Doctoral Researcher in Raman spectroscopic gas sensing (m/f/d)
The position is limited to 3 years, with the possibility of extension to a maximum of 4 years. The position is subject to funding approval at the end of May 2021.
The Leibniz-IPHT is a university independent research institute with close connection to the Friedrich Schiller University Jena (FSU) and member of the Leibniz association. The DFG-funded Collaborative Research Centre 1076 “AquaDiva – Understanding the Links between Surface and Subsurface Biogeosphere” is an ambitious research centre at IPHT and FSU (www.aquadiva.uni-jena.de). Its integrated research training group IRTG AquaDiva is educating doctoral researchers in a structured, interdisciplinary training program and invites applications for doctoral researcher positions in various fields of research. This project aims to develop highly selective and sensitive Raman spectroscopic methods to characterize gas exchange processes.
We are looking for a doctoral researcher, who develops novel optical setups, performs Raman spectroscopic experiments, and is involved in interdisciplinary collaborations. You will also be writing and publishing scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and presenting results at national and international conferences.
Excellent university degree (M.Sc.) in photonics, physics, engineering, physical chemistry or comparable field is necessary. Candidates expected to earn their degree by December 2021 are welcome to apply.
Your knowledge and skills:
- Excellent experimental and technical skills are essential
- Solid knowledge of Raman spectroscopy, optics, and photonics is expected
- Interest in the development and application of new instruments and setups
- Interest in gas sensing, fiber optics, and interdisciplinary research
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and spoken, are desirable
- Enthusiasm to play an active role in the interdisciplinary research team of AquaDiva
- Highly motivated and creative individuals with scientific ambition
- A doctoral researcher position with the possibility of a three-month research stay abroad
- Participation in a diverse experimental and theoretical research project with a strong interdisciplinary nature
- A communicative atmosphere within an international scientific network of universities and research institutes providing top-level research facilities, equipment, and infrastructure
- A comprehensive mentoring program with supervision by a team of advisors and qualification and development measures in the frame of the IRTG AquaDiva and embedded with the Jena Graduate Academy
German tariffs for public employees (TV-L).
The Leibniz-IPHT strives to increase the proportion of female employees. Therefore woman are explicitly encouraged to apply.
Selected applicants will be invited for a short presentation and a personal interview with the project leader/s at our online recruitment symposium, presumably in July/August 2021.
Further information can be obtained from Dr. Torsten Frosch, Tel. +49 3641 206 221 / mail torsten.frosch(at)leibniz-ipht.de, as well as the IRTG AquaDiva coordinator Dr. Anke Hädrich (aquadiva-recruitment(at)uni-jena.de).
More project details can be found at www.aquadiva.uni-jena.de/Open_Positions.html.
Please submit your English application electronically as one pdf file (max. size 15 MB) including your cover letter, CV, and certificates to our online application portal at crc-aquadiva.freshteam.com/jobs until June 20, 2021:
Dr. Torsten Frosch
Leibniz-Institute of Photonic Technology Jena e. V.
Albert-Einstein-Straße 9, 07745 Jena
All applications should be in English and include (in one PDF file, max. size 15 MB) at least the following:
- Cover letter (max. 1 page, describing your motivation, research interests, and relevant experiences)
- Curriculum vitae (max. 2 pages, including contact details of at least two scientific references)
- Scans of certificates, diplomas, and other (e.g., Master’s and Bachelor’s certificate – if not in English or German, please provide a translation)
Note on Data protection:
By submitting your application and the accompanying documents, you consent to the processing of your personal data in connection with the application process. You may revoke this consent in writing or electronically at any time without giving reasons..