Doctoral student (f/m/d)
Museum für Naturkunde - Leibniz Institute for Research on Evolution and Biodiversity (MfN), Berlin
Our Mission: We study life and planet Earth, maintaining a dialogue with people.
The Museum für Naturkunde - Leibniz Institute for Evolution and Biodiversity Science is an excellent and integrated research museum within the Leibniz Association. Its activities cover and tightly link the fields of collection-based research, development of collections and public engagement with science.
Doctoral student (f/m/d)
Work schedule: part-time, 65%
Duration: Three years
Salary level: E 13 TV-L
Museum für Naturkunde Berlin is currently establishing an internationally visible „Center for Integrative Biodiversity Discovery“ to meet the scientific and societal demands arising from the global biodiversity crisis and the need to secure the future of 'System Earth'. The center will develop new scientific approaches to the study of biodiversity that will contribute to a more efficient and significantly faster global biodiversity inventory and at the same time enable high-quality taxonomic research on extinct and recent organisms.
This PhD project will focus on an exemplary application of integrative biodiversity discovery methods to Southeast Asian mantid flies (Mantispidae). More specifically, this comprises combining morphological and molecular approaches, more effective ways of publishing taxonomic descriptions and making a significant contribution to global knowledge about the Southeast Asian and global species diversity of Mantispidae. Applied aspects of taxonomy will also be covered (Provision of data for more effective species conservation).
- Integrative taxonomy of Southeast Asian mantid flies (Mantispidae) including comparative samples from other regions
- Preparation of integrative taxonomic revisions based on morphological and molecular characters with an emphasis on their potential use by non-taxonomists
- Evolutionary and phylogenetic analyses of mimicry complexes of mantid flies and aculeate Hymenoptera
- Species Distribution Modelling and analysis of expected future range sizes under different scenarios (e.g. climate change)
- Development and application of an NGS approach (e.g., exon capture) for taxonomic/systematic purposes with applicability to museum specimens and bioinformatic analysis
- Writing of scientific papers (peer review, Open Access) and presentation of results at scientific conferences
- Master degree (or Diploma) in Biology evaluated “good” or better
- Knowledge of zoological systematics and taxonomy, particularly regarding Neuroptera
- Experience in molecular phylogenetics; experience with NGS techniques would be helpful
- Practical experience in phylogeographic/biogeographic analyses
- Basic knowledge of Species Distribution Modelling
- Good knowledge of statistics
- Experiences with field work
- Very good English spoken and written
In support of equal rights applications from qualified women are particularly welcome. Handicapped individuals will be given preference in cases of identical qualifications.
We look forward to receiving your application with the usual documents (cover letter, curriculum vitae, certificates) by 05.12.2019, preferably via our online application portal.
For information on the application procedure, please contact recruiting(at)mfn.berlin.
By sending your application, you provide us with your information for the purpose of processing your application by the Museum für Naturkunde. Your data will be kept strictly confidential at all times. Once we have received your application documents, they will be entered into our database. Your data will be stored on our server. In doing so, we observe the provisions of the data protection laws.
The Museum für Naturkunde has set itself the goal of promoting a work-life balance and has been awarded the certificate berufundfamilie audit of berufundfamilie gGmbH - an initiative of the Hertie Foundation.
Further information can be found under https://www.museumfuernaturkunde.berlin/en/uber-uns/jobs-und-karriere/arbeiten-am-museum-fur-naturkunde/reconciling-work-and-family-life-audit