Doctoral Students (m/f/d) Department of Experimental Diabetology
German Institute of Human Nutrition (DIfE), Potsdam-Rehbrücke
The German Institute of Human Nutrition (DIfE) Potsdam-Rehbruecke is a member of the Leibniz association and its mission is to conduct experimental and clinical research in the field of nutrition and health.
The Department of Experimental Diabetology (DIAB) is an internationally recognized research-based department encompassing life sciences and a partner of the German Center for Diabetes Research (DZD). We invite applications for
2 Doctoral Students (m/f/d)
The candidates will work in an interdisciplinary team to investigate the role of alternative splicing in islets of Langerhans in type 2 diabetes pathogenesis. Following instruction, the PhD students will learn to perform experiments independently to address the following main goals of the project:
- identify and characterize alternative splice events contributing to islet cell dysfunction
- investigate the molecular impact of a dysfunctional islet splicing program for diabetes pathogenesis
- study the influence of epigenetics on alternative splicing
In working on their thesis project, the prospective student will learn to conduct an independent research project, collaborate with experimental and bioinformatic researchers, analyze and interpret experimental data, and formulate findings in scientific bodies of work (publication(s) in scientific journals, dissertation). The goals of the project will be addressed by the candidates concurrently and collaboratively, with one PhD focusing on epigenetics and the other on molecular characterization of alternative splice events in islet cells.
Skills and requirements:
The DIfE invites applicants with an academic background in an appropriate discipline – e.g. cell or developmental biology, biochemistry, genetics, or another biological science with relevant background knowledge. Prior lab experience or a background in diabetes research, as well as a degree with excellent marks (diploma, M.Sc.) would be an asset. We welcome interested and committed candidates with a high level of motivation and willingness for interdisciplinary collaboration in a diverse international research environment.
- Qualified training with intensive scientific supervision and collaboration in an interdisciplinary team as part of a structured PhD program
- A dynamic and interactive research environment as well as outstanding working conditions and state-of-the-art equipment
- remuneration according to TV-L pay group 13 (65%)
The advertised position is to be filled for a limited period of 3 years.
Please send your application documents (cover letter, CV, certificates, references) with reference nr. 2023_W04_H as a single pdf-file before October 31st, 2023 via e-mail to jobs(at)dife.de.