Doctral Candidate (m/f/d) Intrastate Conflict
Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (PRIF), Frankfurt am Main
As a foundation under public law and with more than 90 employees in research, administration, and science communication, the Peace Research Institute Frankfurt is one of the most influential institutions for peace and conflict research in Germany. In this capacity, the research department IV „Intrastate Conflict“ is seeking to employ at the earliest possible date:
one Doctoral Candidate (m/f/d)
in part-time employment (65 %), in salary group TV-H 13, and for the duration of three years (acc. to the WissZeitVG)
Your responsibilities include:
- A doctoral research project that concerns itself with intrastate dynamics of societal mobilization and repression, such as in the context of shrinking civic spaces and violence against social activists;
- Participation in scientific publications, acquisition of external funds, and scientific transfer endeavors of the Research Department in addition to participation in the research network „External Democracy Promotion“ (EDP - https://www.external-democracy-promotion.eu/).
As applicant, you should fulfill the following requirements:
- Above-average degree (at least “gut” according to the German Grading System) in political science, sociology, or another relevant discipline that grants eligibility for the pursuit of a doctoral degree;
- Scientific interest in the field of peace and conflict studies with a focus on processes of political transformation, contentious politics, and/or dynamics of intrastate conflict and violence;
- Well-founded knowledge of quantitative and/or qualitative social-science methods;
- Ability to work well in an international team;
- Willingness and ability to present research to the scientific community and general public;
- Good spoken and written command of English and eagerness to learn German during the time of employment.
You can expect:
- Flexible hours that allow for the balance of work time and family life;
- Possibility to work remotely;
- Scientific work in a highly relevant and diverse field with a motivated and well-connected international team of colleagues;
- A company pension scheme provided by the Versorgungsanstalt des Bundes und der Länder (VBL).
PRIF is a recipient of the Total E-Quality award and seeks to promote equal representation in the workforce at all levels and aims to strengthen work/life balance. In the case of equal qualification, applicants with severe disabilities will be treated preferentially.
Please send your application documents (cover letter, complete CV (without a photo), 5-page outline of your research project, education and work certificates) as a single PDF to application(at)prif.org with the subject line “Predoc_PB4”. The application deadline is February 29th, 2024. Unfortunately, application expenses cannot be reimbursed.