Ifo Institute – Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich
To strengthen our team, we are looking for an economist (f/m/d) at the postdoc level for up to six years, starting in the next academic year, preferably earlier.
How should we assess the instruments of fiscal policy used in Germany, the European Union and internationally? How do political decisionmakers and institutions influence economic policy and its outcomes? The ifo Center for Public Finance and Political Economy investigates these questions and derives policy recommendations. In particular, the team examines public debt in Germany and Europe, the evaluation of fiscal and tax policies, as well as fiscal federalism and local public finances. The focus is on current issues, such as the record debt levels following the Corona crisis and economic policy strategies to consolidate budgets. Excellent research is our top priority. We publish our research results in renowned international journals.
The ifo Institute is one of the leading economic research institutes in Europe. It works on issues relevant to economics and economic policy of international relevance at the highest scientific level and with an international impact and develops research-based recommendations for action for politics, business and society. Through its five fields of activity - research, promotion of young researchers, political consulting, participation in public debates and information/services - it contributes to maintaining and increasing sustainable economic prosperity and social participation under constantly changing conditions.
Want to know more about us and about your career opportunities? Meet us at https://www.ifo.de/en/about-us/ifo-career.
- You will conduct research in the field of of public finance, economic policy and political economy
- You will concept, acquire, manage and work on third-party funded projects
- You will publish your research results in internationally recognized peer-reviewed journals
- In line with our claim "Shaping the Economic Debate", you will make your research results accessible to the general public and thus contribute to the debate on public finance and economic policy
Your qualifications and interests
- You have a degree in economics with a focus on the economics, public finance and economic policy, statistics and econometrics, or a related field and have completed your PhD by job start
- You have already proven your relevant knowledge and experience through articles in internationally recognized refereed journals or working papers suitable for publication
- This also includes in-depth knowledge of public finance and economic policy, statistics and econometrics
- You also have extensive experience in the use of statistical software such as STATA
- With excellent English language skills, both written and spoken, you will be able to interact confidently in the international network of researchers
- Knowledge of the German language will help you to cooperate with our clients
- You are a team player and like to take responsibility for yourself and others
- You can expect an interesting and challenging job at one of the leading economic research institutes in Europe
- You will conduct policy-oriented empirical economic research in a top-class research team
- You can participate in the Junior Faculty Development Program and have the opportunity to teach at the University of Munich (LMU)
- Through our close connection to the CESifo network with over 1,760 members from all over the world, you will have the opportunity for intensive international experience and networking
- Your working contract will initially be limited to three years with an option to extend to up to six years
- Your remuneration and company pension scheme will be based on the collective agreement for the public service of the Länder (TV-L)
- We support you in your work and your personal development with flexible working hours, the opportunity to work on a mobile basis, and many opportunities for further training and education
- Employees who move from abroad receive a relocation allowance
- e support non-German-speaking employees with German language courses
With us, you will find an ideal working environment for excellent research. This was also confirmed to us by the European Commission, which presented us with the "HR Excellence in Research" award in 2019.
Our membership in the Familienpakt Bayern (Bavarian Family Pact) reinforces our measures to reconcile family and career.
We promote professional equality regardless of ethnic origin, gender, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual identity. We aim to increase the proportion of women in research and therefore explicitly encourage women to apply.
Then please send us your application documents with the reference number 2021-025 ÖF-WM by 10. November 2021 using the form here.
Please make sure to use only .pdf files, Word documents and images in .jpg format. Please also note to use short file names. Too long file names can lead to errors when sending the application.
Please use "Mozilla Firefox" or "Microsoft Edge" as browser. In case of problems, please check if you are using the latest browser version.