Economist / Postdoc (f/m/d) for the ifo Center for Public Finance and Political Economy
Ifo Institute – Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich
For the ifo Centre for Public Finance and Political Economy we are now filling a position as a Economist / Postdoc (f/m/d). The research department conducts research in the field of applied empirical finance and political economy and is active in economic policy consulting.
The ifo Institute is one of the leading economic research institutes in Europe. It works on economically and politico-economic issues of international relevance at the highest scientific level and with an international impact and develops research-based recommendations for action for politics, business and society. Through its five fields of activity - research, promotion of young researchers, political consulting, participation in public debates and information/services - it contributes to maintaining and increasing sustainable economic prosperity and social participation under constantly changing conditions.
How are financial and fiscal policy instruments that are in use in Germany, the European Union and internationally to be evaluated? How do policy makers and institutions influence economic policy and its outcomes, e.g. economic growth? The Centre for Public Finance and Political Economy deals with these topics and derives policy recommendations from them. The motives for action of political decision-makers are examined in particular from the point of view of the public choice approach.
Further information on the ifo Institute and on careers can be found at https://www.ifo.de/ueber-uns/ifo-Karriere
- Empirical research with a focus on questions of finance and/or political economy
- Publication of the results of the research, in particular through articles in internationally recognized refereed journals and lectures at international conferences
- Conception, acquisition, management and processing of third-party funded projects
- Transfer of the results of the work to the general public with a focus on the publication of contributions to the economic policy debate
- Co-supervision of doctoral students and interns
Your qualifications and interests
- A degree in economics with a very good doctorate
- Proven knowledge and experience in finance and/or political economy, as well as in policy-oriented economic research, through articles in recognized journals or working papers suitable for publication
- Sound knowledge of relevant data sets and microeconometric methods
- Mastery of econometric software (e.g. Stata) and programming software
- Excellent language skills in English and German
- Policy-oriented empirical economic research at one of the leading economic research institutes in Europe
- Opportunity for intensive international experience and networking
- Possibility to teach at the Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich at the chair of Prof. Dr. Niklas Potrafke
- For an initial three-year fixed-term employment contract with an option to extend
- Remuneration and social benefits are based on the collective agreement for the public service of the Länder (TV-L)
- Many further education and training opportunities
- Flexible working time organisation
- Relocation allowance for employees* moving from abroad
- German courses for employees without German language skills
The ifo Institute promotes professional equality regardless of ethnic origin, gender, religion or world view, disability, age or sexual identity. It aims to increase the proportion of women in research and therefore expressly encourages women to apply.
Please apply with the reference number 2020-006 ÖF-WM by 6 March 2020, preferably by e-mail to ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, Poschingerstraße 5, 81679 Munich
Please summarize your letter of motivation, curriculum vitae and certificates in one .pdf file.
For information on the application process, please contact Ms. Jessica Bayer at recruiting(at)ifo.de; for specialist information, please contact Dr. Klaus Gründler (firstname.lastname@example.org; 089/9224-1394).