Head of the IOER Research Data Center (f/m/d) - IOER-RDC Management
Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development (IOER), Dresden
The Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development (IOER) in Dresden is looking forward to fulfil the following position -subject to the final approval of the funding body - as a fixed-term work contract for three years (according to the German law on fixed-term contracts in science – WissZeitVG and with the option of a permanent working contract) to be filled as of 1.1.2023:
Head of the IOER Research Data Center (f/m/d)
TV-L, E 15, Full time with 40 working hours per week.
The Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development is a non-university research institute in the field of the spatial sciences and a member of the Leibniz- Association. Our subject is the sustainable development and transformation of cities and regions in the context of the global human-ecological crisis.
Sustainable land use and spatial structure are of particular importance in this context. The re-quirements for regenerative energy production, biodiversity promotion, economical and circular resource use, and climate resilience are increasingly coming into conflict with each other in limited spaces. To answer the related questions, small-scale data, analyses, simulations, scenarios and assessments are needed for research purposes and to support decision-making in various contexts.
Therefore, the Institute plans to establish an IOER Research Data Center (IOER-RDC) as of January 1, 2023, which will develop and provide digital information bases and tools for a sustainable land transition as well as transformative urban and regional development. At the same time, the profile of the institute aims to be strengthened in this forward-looking field of action at the interface between geoinformatics, spatial, environmental and sustainability research. The IOER-RDC will be operated as an integrated part within the framework of National Research Data Infrastructure (NFDI) and the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC). It inaugurates on the established research data infrastructure of the IOER - the "Monitor of Settlement and Spatial Development (IOER Monitor)" - and connects all research areas of the institute in their data-oriented work.
The holder of the advertised position will take over the management of the IÖR-RDC, which is assigned to the research area "Spatial Information and Modelling". He/she will lead an interdisciplinary team that builds up and operates the IOER Research Data Center.
Job Descripition/Task/ Position specific background
In-depth knowledge of research data infrastructures and their integration into NFDI and EOSC is required for the establishment of the IÖR-FDZ. This includes practical experience in the FAIR-compliant development and expansion of FDIs, in spatial database management (SQL, NoSQL), in data quality management and the establishment of user and linked data services. Competencies are essential in Spatial Data Science, GeoAI, Machine Learning and exploratory geovisualization.
The position requires a goal-oriented, committed and transformational leadership to lead an interdisciplinary team of (geo)computer scientists and sustainability scientists at the interface to all IOER research areas.
Expected skills and competencies:
- Excellent Master's or diploma degree in computer science/geoinformatics or a related scientific discipline as well as a doctorate in the field of spatial information, modelling or research data infrastructures
- Scientific publication activity as well as acquisition and management of own research projects
- many years of experience in leading interdisciplinary teams, managing staff and organizing collaborative IT projects
- Distinct social and team competence
- participation in networks in the fields of geospatial technology and standards such as FAIR and CARE, spatial data infrastructures and research data management (NFDI and EOSC)
- independent, structured and creative work, as well as a high degree of motivation
- distinct ability to team co-ordination and interdisciplinary competence
- German and English language skills (CEFR level C1 or higher)
We actively support researchers through qualification and career development measures, including continuous mentoring, as well as further training opportunities, e.g. with regard to scientific methods and publications.
We offer you:
- Collaboration in a highly motivated, interdisciplinary team in a leading research institute of the Leibniz Association
- motivating work environment and support for scientific advancements
- flat hierarchies and opportunities for participation
- lively social culture and diversity
- openness and trusting cooperation
- family justice and flexible working time models
- equal opportunities (multiple Total-E-Quality certification)
- sustainability management
- job ticket
- additional protection through a company pension scheme (VBL)
The place of work is Dresden.
The IOER promotes professional equality between women and men as well as diversity, and is particularly committed to promote family life and professional career. Women are encouraged to apply. Applications are welcome from people with recognized disabilities.
Please send your application (letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, diplomas, certificates of employment or references) in the form of a single PDF file as an e-mail attachment, stating the password " IOER-RDC Management " by 27.11. 2022 to jobs(at)ioer.de or by post to:
Leibniz-Institut für ökologische Raumentwicklung e.V.
Personalbüro (Kennwort: IOER-RDC Geovisualization)
Your application documents will not be returned, please do not submit original.