Intern researcher (m/f/d)
Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW)
The research center “International Finance and Macroeconomics” at the Kiel Institute for the World Economy is looking for an
intern (m/f/div), full-time (38.7h/week)
for our research project on “The Ukraine Support Tracker” at the earliest possible date. We are a young, dynamic, research-oriented team with a large international network, focusing on international capital flows, financial globalization, financial history, and questions of international political economy, in particular geopolitics and geoeconomics.
The intern will actively participate in our broad-based research agenda on which countries support the Ukraine in the Russo-Ukrainian war. In this ambitious research project, we explore international donation flows with a particular focus on humanitarian, financial and military bilateral aid and on aggregate and country-level decomposition of pledges. Processing and quantifying micro-level data on bilateral aid pledges and deliveries using Excel will constitute a big part of the project.
What we offer:
- Participation in ambitious research projects involving leading international researchers
- Deep insights into quantification work and state-of-the-art research, by using Excel, Stata and other stat packages
- An open and international work environment in a team of motivated RAs and interns
- Attendance of various Kiel Institute seminars and participation, upon agreement, in courses offered by the Kiel Institute’s Advanced Studies Program (ASP) and Kiel Institute summer schools
What we DO NOT offer:
- Literature review or any form of academic or policy related writing
- Day-to-day business tasks
- Collaboration on other projects of the department or of the Kiel Institute
What we expect:
The team of Prof. Christoph Trebesch is looking for a student who
- possesses a high GPA (1.9 or higher on the German scale or equivalent)
- possesses profound programming skills in Excel, Stata (R or Python also possible), exceeding knowledge gained in a university class
- is able to think analytically
- is motivated and does not hesitate to propose ideas to move the project forward
- is experienced in working independently, accurately and in a structured manner
- has an interest in working with data using Excel and Stata
- performs tasks responsibly and reliably
- has an interest in international finance, international macroeconomics and economic history
Information on the application:
German language skills are not required.
Please submit your application via the application form on our website using ID-No. „Intern_Ukraine_Support_Tracker“. Please include:
- Cover letter (please explain your interest in the position and where you gained skills in the use of the relevant software)
- CV (including your current GPA)
- Your most recent university transcript in German or English
- Reference letters, if available
- One academic writing sample such as your Bachelor thesis or a seminar paper, if available
Please note that you have to be enrolled as a student to be considered for this position.
We only consider applications received via our online tool. Applications sent via email will not be considered.
In order to be eligible for this position you have to hold EU citizenship or need to be able to provide a work permit that is valid throughout the time of your contract. Please inform yourself about the work permit application procedure and eligibility before you apply to this internship position and be aware that the application procedure for a work permit might take up to three months.
The internship position is limited to three months. A part-time internship option is available to students enrolled at the University of Kiel.
Please do not include a photo of yourself with your application.
Contact: Please do not hesitate to direct any questions regarding the position or the application process to the following contact:
Andre Frank, firstname.lastname@example.org