Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW)
For the project „Sovereign Debt Markets, Default and Sudden Stops: The 1 Million Bonds Project“ to take up the position at the earliest possible date. The intern will actively participate in an ambitious international empirical research project on borrowing patterns in capital markets over the last 200 years. Processing micro-level sovereign bond data using Stata and Excel will constitute a big part of the project.
What we offer:
- Profound knowledge of data processing procedures (using Excel and Stata)
- A deep insight into empirical work on economic data by conducting relevant data analyses
- An open and international work environment in a team of motivated RAs and interns
- Attendance of various IfW seminars and participation, upon agreement, in courses offered by the Kiel Institute’s Advanced Studies Program (ASP) and Kiel Institute summer schools
What we DO NOT offer:
- Literature review or any form of academic or policy related writing
- Day-to-day business tasks
- Collaboration on other projects of the department or of the Kiel Institute
- Remote work. The internship position is to be conducted at the Institute in Kiel
What we expect:
The team of Prof. Christoph Trebesch is looking for a student who
- possesses a high GPA (1.9 or higher on the German scale or equivalent)
- possesses profound programming skills in Stata (R or Python also possible), exceeding knowledge gained in a university class
- is able to think analytically
- is motivated and does not hesitate to propose ideas to move the project forward
- is experienced in working independently, accurately and in a structured manner
- has an interest in working with data using Excel and Stata
- performs tasks responsibly and reliably
- has an interest in international finance, international macroeconomics and economic history
Information on the application:
German language skills are not required. Please submit your application via the application form on our website https://www.ifw-kiel.de/institute/working-at-the-kiel-institute/job-vacancies/ using ID-No.„09_19_Prakt_1_Million_01“. Please include
- Cover letter (one page. Please address all points mentioned below and explain where you gained skills in the use of the relevant software)
1. Why are you applying to this particular project at the Kiel Institute?
2. What do you expect your tasks to be?
3. In case you have other commitments like university studies, how do you plan to manage the additional workload of the position alongside those commitments?
- CV (including your current GPA)
- University transcripts in German or English (transcripts in other languages will not be accepted. In case the grades shown do not align with the German system, please provide an official German equivalent showing e.g. A = 1.0-1.3)
- Reference letter(s)
- One writing sample from a recent academic paper such as your Bachelor thesis or a seminar paper (minimum length: one page), if available
Please note that only complete applications will be considered. Missing documents can be submitted to the Human Resources Department at a later stage provided that the intention to do so is stated in the application.
Please note that you have to be enrolled as a student to be considered for this position. If you are in between programs or if you plan to complete your degree halfway through the contract, we cannot take your application into consideration.
Please note that we can only consider applications received via our online tool. Applications sent via email will not be considered.
In order to be eligible for this position you have to hold EU citizenship or need to be able to provide a work permit that is valid throughout the time of your contract. Please inform yourself about the work permit application procedure and eligibility before you apply to this internship position and be aware that the application procedure for a work permit might take up to three months.
The internship position is limited to three months. The part-time internship option is only available to students enrolled at the University of Kiel who are taking a minimum of one class per semester while conducting the internship.
Please do not include a photo of yourself with your application.
Please note that the application process may take a couple of weeks.
Please do not hesitate to direct any questions regarding the position or the application process to the following contact: Lucie Stoppok, lucie.stoppok(at)ifw-kiel.de.