Leibniz-Institut für Analytische Wissenschaften - ISAS - e. V. (ISAS), Dortmund und Berlin
The Leibniz-Institut für Analytische Wissenschaften - ISAS - e. V. is a research institute dedicated to the development and improvement of analytical methods and tools for health research and related fields. The ISAS is a member of the Leibniz Association and is publicly funded by the Federal Republic of Germany and its federal states.
A new project area in the institute is the development of advanced imaging, especially light-sheet fluorescence microscopy (LSFM), for the analysis of whole organs under physiological and pathological conditions. LSFM generates extremely large data sets. They require the implementation of dedicated tools for algorithmic and machine-learning-based image representation and analysis to extract biologically meaningful information suited for human perception. Hence, we invite applications for the following position:
Leader (m/f/d) of our new junior research group “Artificial Intelligence-based image data analysis”
In the department of Biospectroscopy at ISAS Dortmund you will be responsible for:
- building a fast GPU-based computer cluster with connection to a petabyte-size image storage solution
- generating large ground truth data sets of healthy and diseased organs in close cooperation with the biomedical research groups at ISAS and supported by appropriate artificial data enhancement techniques
- development of executable codes for the identification and visualization of relevant structures as defined by the biomedical question
- optimization of the processing speed of codes via methods of e.g. performance engineering or software tailoring for the existing hardware
- development of suitable statistical methods for data evaluation
- development of suitable frontends with Graphical User Interface (GUI) for biomedical users
- testing of the developed solutions in the real world with biomedical end-users
- team management
- presentation and publication of the research results as well as obtaining third party funding
- interdisciplinary collaboration with research facilities, institutes, universities along with other external research partners in order to pursue cooperative research projects
- a PhD degree in computer science/statistics/physics/computer visualistics/data science or a related field
- alternatively, a career changer, e.g. with biomedical PhD, who has acquired specialized IT knowledge over the years
- profound experience in and understanding of the field of biomedical research and the functioning of optical systems is highly desirable
- comprehensive expertise in running image reconstruction tools such as IMARIS, FIJI or AMIRA
- proven knowledge in running GPU-based image analysis systems
- very good skills as communicator and team leader
- fluent English (spoken and written)
- good German communication skills are a plus
- a superbly equipped group funded initially for 5 years
- Scientific development opportunities in an international cooperative, interdisciplinary research environment and an excellent working atmosphere in a very dynamic and professional team.
- Extensive state-of-the-art equipment and infrastructure for the desired project
- a wide range of activities in skill enhancement and further qualification
Applications from disabled applicants are welcome. ISAS supports the principle of equal opportunity for all employees, and would therefore particularly encourage women to apply. The salary will be according to the German TV-L E15. The fixed-termed full-time position is available immediately. The time limitation of the contract is based on the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz (WissZeitVG).
ISAS collects and processes the personal data of its applicants in accordance with European and German legal regulations. Further information on data protection and the processing of personal data can be found at www.isas.de/datenschutzhinweise-fuer-bewerberinnen-und-bewerber.
Closing date for application is Dec 15th 2020. Applications should contain: a cover letter describing research interests, a detailed CV along with publication list including at least three representative papers, copies of certified transcript of records (PhD and master diplomas) as well as names and contact information of at least 2 referees.
Please send your complete application as a single pdf document (quoting the reference number 27/2020 in the subject header) by e-mail to personal(at)isas.de. Informal inquiries are welcome and can be submitted to the human resources department (personal(at)isas.de). For further information on the institute please see: