Mechanical Engineer (m/f/d)
Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam (AIP)
The Leibniz-Institut für Astrophysik Potsdam (AIP) is a publicly funded German research institute with a long history that includes the Berlin Observatory and the Astrophysical Observatory Potsdam.
Today, the AIP has an international reputation as a centre of excellence for the development of research technologies in the fields of spectroscopy, robotic telescopes and e-science. Around 130 scientists work on a wide range of astrophysical topics such as magnetic fields, solar and stellar physics, stellar and galaxy evolution and cosmology. The Institute has extensive experience in developing optical instruments for state-of-the-art international telescopes at the European Southern Observatory in Chile, the Large Binocular Telescope in Arizona, the Hobby-Eberly telescope in Texas, the Calar Alto telescopes in Spain and operates the robotic STELLA observatory in Tenerife and is involved in space missions such as Gaia, eRosita and Solar Orbiter.
We are looking for a
mechanical engineer (m/f/d)
for the development and support of astronomical instrumentation projects in the Technical Section as soon as possible. The successful candidate will primarily work on the 4MOST project in collaboration with the local project team and an extensive external partner network.
- Independent development of constructive solutions for precision mechanical components, assemblies and individual solutions based on the functional and performance requirements for opto- and electromechanical systems using computer-aided programmes (e.g. Autodesk Inventor® 3D CAD software) as well as the critical review of designs prepared by other parties.
- Analysis of the feasibility of the project objectives using engineering knowledge in the fields of precision mechanics, dynamics, materials and structures, thermodynamics, technical modelling including FEA (e.g. ANSYS), detailed tolerance analysis taking into account machine shop processes
- Preparation of project-accompanying documents, e.g.
- detailed manufacturing and assembly documents for the designed components and assemblies, including detailed manufacturing and assembly drawings, parts lists and assembly procedures, if applicable,
- Drafting requirements documents for the procurement of components and
- Planning, documentation and monitoring of the manufacturing, assembly, integration and verification activities for assemblies or instruments
- You have a degree in mechanical engineering or an equivalent qualification (e.g. Bachelor, Master in engineering or applied sciences, Dipl.-Ing. (FH))
- You work in a structured and independent manner. Your way of working is coupled with a strong team spirit, high motivation and initiative
- You are familiar with the EU Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC, as well as the drawing standard ISO 10110
- You have at least two years' professional experience in the above area of responsibility, in particular in the critical analysis and validation of designs, including finite element analyses, metrology and prototyping
- You can fit well into an intercultural, multidisciplinary team
- You have a good command of written and spoken English and German and can write the necessary technical documentation and reports in both languages (e.g. using MS Office)
The AIP promotes a diverse, inclusive working environment and culture. Equal opportunities are an integral part of staff and organisational development, therefore applications from all genders are equally encouraged. People with disabilities are given preferential consideration in cases of equal professional aptitude and ability.
The AIP sees itself as a family-friendly employer and offers a wide range of options for combining work and family life. The position is to be filled immediately for a limited period of two years and is suitable for part-time work. The remuneration and social benefits are based on the collective agreement for the public service of the Länder (TV-L), this includes the company pension VBL with pension for reduced earning capacity and surviving dependants as well as a subsidy for the job ticket.
If the personal and collective agreement requirements are met, the position can be remunerated up to pay group 11 of the TV-L. To apply, please submit your application documents (cover letter, complete CV, academic degrees and certificates, qualifications and any other documents) via our job portal at https://jobs.aip.de/rec108. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. E-mail applications will not be processed.