PhD candidate (m/f/d)
Research Center Borstel - Leibniz Lung Center (FZB), Borstel
We are announcing a 65% position as
PhD candidate (m/f/d)
"Aerofix - Detection of Pathogens in Breathing Air"
in the Priority Area Infection at the Research Center Borstel. The position is offered for 3 years.
The Research Center Borstel (RCB) is an internationally operating Lung Center within the Leibniz Association, financed by the Federal Government and the State of Schleswig-Holstein. Our central task is basic and translational research in the field of respiratory diseases. We operate extensive laboratory and research infrastructures. Academically, we are closely linked with neighboring universities (Lübeck, Kiel) and clinically with the University Hospital Schleswig-Holstein. Our goal is to improve existing methods for the detection, prevention and treatment of lung diseases and to develop new, innovative therapeutic approaches.
OUR IDEA - AEROFIX
The development of a simple, fast and handy test system is our focus within the project "Aerofix - Detection of Pathogens in Breathing Air" (https://www.ekfs.de/wissenschaftliche-foerderung/sonderprojekte/troepfcheninfektionen) funded by the Else-Kröner-Fresenius Foundation. Similar to an alcohol tester, corona viruses, but also other pathogens such the tuberculosis pathogen, should be detected simultaneously in exhaled air. An interdisciplinary team from chemistry, microbiology, medicine and biophysics will work on the fundamentals for the development of a novel three-stage biosensor. Parts of the work will be carried out together with our cooperation partners at the University of Münster.
- Master's degree or equivalent: Biophysics, Medical Engineering, Chemistry
- Experience in molecular biology methods is desirable
- Flexibility and curiosity about medical and sensor technology
- Willingness to work at the SON of the Westfälische Wilhelms University Münster for 6-12 months
- Your new workplace is located in a top class research center close to Hamburg
- Work in an interdisciplinary research environment with high social relevance
- Participation in a productive and active team
- Personal atmosphere and support
- Payment according to TVöD-VKA incl. all benefits usually offered in the public sector
- Family-friendly working conditions and flexible working hours
- Childcare centre and workplace health promotion
The FZB is certified for the "berufundfamilie" audit and specifically promotes the compatibility of career and family. The under-represented gender is given special consideration while maintaining the same professional and personal aptitude. Severely handicapped persons with otherwise equal aptitude are also given preferential consideration.
For more information about our certifications, please visit our homepage.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Laura Paulowski (lpaulowski(at)fz-borstel.de) or Dr. Susanne Homolka (shomolka(at)fz-borstel.de) . Please send your application with the usual documents (without photo) up to 31.1.2022 to our website www.fz-borstel.de.