PhD candidates (f/m/d)
Ifo Institute – Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich
To strengthen our team, we are looking for
doctoral candidates (f/m/d)
to join the department of Prof. Dr. Sarah Necker at the Friedrich-Alexander University of Erlangen-Nuremberg in June 2022 or at the earliest possible, and to work on research projects at the newly founded ifo Center for Social Market Economy and Institutional Economics in Fürth. The envisaged research areas are public economics, behavioral economics and other economic research topics relevant for the development of the social market economy.
The social market economy is a widely recognized economic and social model. It stands for the combination of economic efficiency with social balance and is therefore considered a model of success beyond Germany. The ifo Center for Social Market Economy and Institutional Economics in Fürth investigates how markets and government action should be designed to meet new challenges - such as demographic change, digitalization, climate change, and economic inequality. How can as many people as possible take advantage of the opportunities offered by a market economy? What influences people's attitudes regarding the economic system and economic policies?
We would like to answer these and other questions. Join us in this task!
The ifo Institute is one of the leading economic research institutes in Europe. It works on economically and politico-economic issues of international relevance at the highest scientific level and with an international impact and develops research-based recommendations for action for politics, business and society. Through its five fields of activity - research, promotion of young researchers, political consulting, participation in public debates and information/services - it contributes to maintaining and increasing sustainable economic prosperity and social participation under constantly changing conditions.
Do you want to know more about us and your career opportunities? Meet us at https://www.ifo.de/en/about-us/ifo-career.
- You can expect an interesting and challenging job at one of the leading economic research institutes in Europe.
- You will conduct policy-oriented empirical economic research in a top-class research team.
- You will profit from comprehensive further scientific qualification at an excellent German economics faculty and have, among other thing, the opportunity to participate in the Bavarian Gradute Program in Economics (http://www.bgpe.de).
- In line with our claim "Shaping the Economic Debate", you will make your research results accessible to the general public and thus contribute to the debate on economic and regulatory policy debate.
- Your working contract will initially be limited to three years with an option to extend depending on the progress of your PhD.
- Your remuneration is analogous to the collective agreement for the public service of the Länder (German public service pay scale TV-L E13, 75%).
- You will become part of the newly created research network of the ifo Institute and the Friedrich-Alexander University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- Through our close connection to the CESifo network with over 1,800 members from all over the world, you will have the opportunity to acquire enriching international experience and networking.
- With flexible working time arrangements, the possibility to work on a mobile basis, many opportunities for further education and training as well as research stays, we support you in your task and your personal development and enable you to combine family, leisure time and career.
- Your workplace is located in the old town of Fürth with fast connections to Nuremberg and beautiful surroundings.
- Employees who move from abroad receive a relocation allowance.
- We support non-German-speaking employees with German language courses.
Your area of responsibility
- You will conduct research in the fields of public economics, behavioral economics, and other economic disciplines relevant to the development of the social market economy, contributing to solutions for current societal challenges with applied empirical or experimental analyses.
- You will complete a PhD in economics at the chair of Center Director Prof. Dr. Sarah Necker at FAU.
- You have a strong master’s degree in economics.
- You have sound knowledge of the foundations of economics, of relevant empirical or experimental methods, the field of public economics, behavioral economics, and other economic disciplines relevant to the development of the social market economy.
- With excellent English language skills, both written and spoken, you will be able to interact confidently in the international network of researchers.
- Knowledge of the German language is an advantage.
- You are a team player who values professional exchange with your colleagues and like to take responsibility for yourself and others.
With us, you will find an ideal working environment for excellent research. This was also confirmed by the European Commission, which awarded us the "HR Excellence in Research" award in 2019.
Our membership in the Familienpakt Bayern (Bavarian Family Pact) reinforces our measures to reconcile family and career.
We promote professional equality regardless of ethnic origin, gender, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual identity. We strive to increase the proportion of women in research and therefore expressly encourage women to apply.
Then please send us your application documents with the reference number 2022-012 FÜ-Dok by 29 Mai 2022 using the form here.
Please attach a letter of motivation, your CV, references and other documents relevant to your application in the lower section of the form.
Letters of recommendation can be sent directly from the creator to the following email address: Recruiting(at)ifo.de. The letters will then be added to your application in our system and forwarded to the appropriate people.
Please make sure to use only .pdf files, Word documents and images in .jpg format. Please also note to use short file names. Too long file names can lead to errors when sending the application. Please read the document "Information on attachment naming" carefully so that your application can be sent to us without errors.
Please use "Mozilla Firefox" or "Microsoft Edge" as browser. In case of problems, please check if you are using the latest browser version.
If you have any questions, please contact recruiting(at)ifo.de.