PhD Position (m/f/d)
DWI - Leibniz Institute for Interactive Materials, Aachen
The DWI – Leibniz-Institute for Interactive Materials is a federal and state funded research institute of the Leibniz Association based on the Melaten Campus of RWTH Aachen University. International young and experienced scientists from various disciplines develop interactive materials based on the principles of nature. It is a location at which people with different talents, experiences and skills work together, in order to learn from one another and generate new knowledge and new methods to create a better quality of life in our world.
DWI invites applications for a position as
PhD-student (m/f/d) for the research project “A Multiplexed Magneto-Assay Platform with NV quantum centers in diamond”
DWI offers you a wide range of possibilities to develop further both professionally and personally in an interdisciplinary setting.
Position/Scope of the project:
You will work on an interdisciplinary project to address and overcome the current limitations of optical biosensing methods. To this end, the focus will be on developing magneto-assay platforms and probing the molecular recognition events with the complementary detection system with nitrogen-vacancy NV quantum centers in diamond.
- Further development of the NV-based detection methods currently available at the institute (pnas.2112664118) for measuring the spin relaxation times of NV centers in diamond.
- Fabrication and surface functionalization of nano- and microcapsule structures with oligonucleotides to selectively induce specific molecular interactions that can be coupled to the ODMR signal of NV quantum centers.
- Further development of the capsules as multifunctional building blocks that combine both drug delivery and sensor elements for theranostic applications.
- M.Sc. in physics, physical chemistry, biophysics, bioengineering, electrical engineering or related field.
- Strong interests in the development of optical setups, techniques, sensor platforms and applying these tools to biological/biomedical study.
- Previous experience in pulsed ODMR experiments with NV quantum centers in diamond for magnetometry and sensor applications (strongly preferred).
- Hands-on experience in surface functionalization techniques, DNA hybridization, bioassays and biosensors.
- Exciting and challenging tasks as well as development opportunities in a modern scientific organization
- An open and team-oriented working atmosphere in an international environment
- Support by an experienced team
- Flexible and family-friendly working conditions
The position has to be filled by September 2022.
There is a possibility to fulfill the position in part-time, unless there are compelling professional reasons to do otherwise.
DWI supports the applicant to gain further qualifications. We offer our employees a broad spectrum of career opportunities in an attractive working professional environment (https://www.dwi.rwth-aachen.de/seite/institutskultur). DWI supports equal opportunities; an overview on the measures can be found here: https://www.dwi.rwth-aachen.de/en/page/equal-opportunity-and-diversity.
We at the DWI - Leibniz Institute value diversity and therefore welcome all applications - regardless of gender, disability, nationality or ethnic and social background.
How to apply:
If you are interested and you are open to new professional challenges, we would be delighted to receive an application from you.
Please upload your complete application documents (curriculum vitae, copies of final and work references, letter of motivation) under "Apply now”
By submitting an application, you consent to your data being processed electronically.