PhD position in cognitive neuroscience (m/f/d)
Leibniz Research Centre for Working Environment and Human Factors (IfADo), Dortmund
‘Forschungsgesellschaft für Arbeitsphysiologie und Arbeitsschutz e.V. Dortmund’ (legal entity name) is a research institution institutionally funded by the German Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs and the State of North Rhine-Westphalia. It is the sponsor of ’Leibniz Research Centre for Working Environment and Human Factors at TU Dortmund’ (IfADo). IfADo explores the risks and potentials of modern work in interdisciplinary approaches. We combine the disciplines of Ergonomics, Immunology, Toxicology, Psychology and Neurosciences.
Within the Department of Ergonomics, we work both on issues of basic neuroscientific research and on the transfer of the knowledge thus gained for application.
In the department "Ergonomics" we are seeking to fill a part-time (75%)
PhD position in cognitive neuroscience (m/f/d)
The position is limited to 3 years and to-be-filled at the next possible date.
The successful applicant will contribute to a project, investigating selective attention and working memory processes in a multisensory context. In particular, we are interested in how the auditory and the visual system interact during the deployment of attention in multisensory environments and how audio-visual information is integrated. To answer those research questions, we primarily use the EEG. Beyond that, the application of eye-tracking or (functional) MRI is possible within the project.
- Conducting research in a project investigating attentional and working memory processes in a multisensory context
- Conducting (EEG-) experiments in combination with eye-tracking (and possibly fMRI)
- Statistical data analysis
- Preparation of manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Presentation of scientific results at (inter-)national conferences
- The contribution of your own ideas to the project is encouraged
- Master's degree (or diploma) in psychology, neuroscience, cognitive science, or a related field from a university/technical college
- Enthuthiasm for neuroscientific research, a keen interest in the research topics listed above, and the motivation to apply open science practices
- High level of proficiency in statistical analyses
- Excellent command of English in written and oral communication
- Programming skills (preferably MATLAB) as well as previous experience in acquisition and analysis of EEG data are desired, but not required.
- Amenability to work with participants and strong organizational skills
- A part-time position with currently 29,87 working hours per week
- Remuneration according to the collective agreement for the public service (position EG 13 TV-L. The classification depends on the collective agreement and personal requirements)
- All social benefits provided by the public service (e.g., an annual bonus, capital-formation benefits)
- Flexible working hours for the compatibility of family and career
- Promotion of professional development
- Outstanding research infrastructure, financial resources, and technical support (simulation laboratories, EEG, stress laboratory, fMRI, non-invasive brain stimulation)
- A positive working environment in a supportive team
- An interesting, responsible, and vertasile field of work
- Possibility to participate in the qualification program offered by the Research Academy Ruhr (https://research-academy-ruhr.de/)
- Attendance of national and international conferences (funding is provided)
The IfADo promotes professional equality for all genders and is certified accordingly.
We value diversity and therefore welcome all applications - regardless of gender, disability, nationality or ethnic and social origin. Where appropriate, there is also the possibility of part-time work.
For further information please contact Dr. Laura-Isabelle Klatt (phone: +49-231 1084-260, klatt(at)ifado.de).
Have we aroused your interest?
Please send your application with the usual documents (cover letter, curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, list of grades, list of publications if applicable)* by 15.12.2021 with the subject “PhD Ergo Neuroscience” preferably by e-mail to bewerbung(at)ifado.de.
Alternative, we will accept your application by mail to the following address:
Forschungsgesellschaft für Arbeitsphysiologie und Arbeitsschutz e.V.
*We ask that application documents be submitted preferably by email or only in copies. Please do submit application folders, as the documents will not be returned. The documents will be destroyed in accordance with data protection regulations after the retention period has expired.
General information about the Research Centre can be found here www.ifado.de.