PhD position (m/f/d)
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Frankfurt am Main
For more than 200 years the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) represents one of the leading institutions investigating nature and its diversity. Currently, Senckenberg employs scientists from more than 40 countries across 11 locations in Germany which conduct research in the fields of biodiversity, earth system analysis and climate change. The head office of Senckenberg is Frankfurt am Main.
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung intends to fill at the Senckenberg German Entomological Institute (SDEI) located in Müncheberg, near Berlin, starting 1 January 2021, the position of a
PhD position (m/f/d)
in the project Pyrophob
The project “Pyrophob” is a joint research project of different universities and research institutes in the state of Brandenburg which is investigating the development of future forests with higher resilience to fires and climate change. The SDEI has taken over the task of investigating moth communities in this project.
- Assessing the moth communities (Macrolepidoptera) with light trapping in different regenerating forest areas after extensive fires in the central part of Brandenburg (south of Berlin)
- Determining and analyzing the trapped material, followed by publication of the results
- Strong cooperation with the other working groups in the Pyrophob consortium
- The will to complete a PhD is assumed
- A master degree in biology/zoology or a related discipline
- Interest in intensively working with moths; a firm taxonomic knowledge would be helpful
- A strong command in statistics
- A very good command of English, knowledge of German is desired
- Car driving license
- Flexibility, team compatibility and skills in communication are requested. A high degree of commitment and sense of responsibility are essential
What is awaiting you?
- An attractive and challenging position in a research institution of worldwide standing
- The possibility to conduct a PhD thesis
- A three years contract with the option of an extension for one more year
- A salary that reflects the tasks and responsibilities of the position based on the collective agreement for public service in the state of Brandenburg (TV-L E 13, 75%)
- Self-directed action in a motivated and professional environment
The Senckenberg Research Institutes support equal opportunity of men and women and therefore strongly invite women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of employment is Müncheberg, Germany.
You would like to apply?
Please send your application documents (CV, complete academic certificates and credentials, references and a letter of motivation), mentioning the reference of this job announcement (ref. #09-20004) before October 4th, 2020 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
For more information, please contact Prof. Dr. Thomas Schmitt, Thomas.Schmitt(at)senckenberg.de or +49 33432 73698 - 3701.