PhD position (m/f/d)
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Frankfurt am Main
For over 200 years the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) represents one of the most relevant institutions investigating nature and its diversity. Currently, scientists from more than 40 countries across 11 locations in Germany conduct research in the fields of biodiversity, earth system analysis and climate change. The head office of Senckenberg is Frankfurt am Main together with the Senckenberg Research Institute and Natural History Museum Frankfurt.
The division of River Ecosystem Management invites application for the project DECIDE a
PhD Position (m/f/d)
“DECIDE - Development and evaluation of an ecotoxicological evaluation system for running waters that conforms to the guidelines of the EU Water Framework Directive” is a joint project between Goethe-University Frankfurt, Department of Aquatic Ecotoxicology, MESOCOSM GmbH, Institut für Gewässerschutz and Senckenberg, Section for River Ecosystem Management. Funded by the Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt (DBU), the project aims to develop a new organism-based tool to detect and measure chemical pollution in rivers.
- Application of methods to assess the ecological, morphological and chemical status of water bodies according to the EU Water Framework Directive
- Analysis of extensive monitoring data (biotic and abiotic)
- Development of theoretical models on the importance of multiple stressors e.g. water pollutants for aquatic communities
- Collaboration with project partners
- Writing publications and reports
- Master degree/Diploma in ecology, environmental science, biology or related fields
- Experiences in the status assessment of river and streams according to the EU Water Framework Directive
- Prior experience with programming and statistical techniques would be advantageous
- Good communication and writing skills in German and English are essential
- High interest in working in transdisciplinary collaboration between experts in ecotoxicology and freshwater ecology
- Important personal qualities are to be creative, good at problem-solving, a team-worker, independent, resilient, and structured
What awaits you?
Salary and benefits are according to a public service position in Germany (TV-H E 13, 50%), starting 1. February 2021. The position is limited for 3 years.
The Senckenberg Research Institute supports equal opportunity of men and women and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of employment will be Gelnhausen (Hesse), Germany.
You would like to apply?
Please send your application documents (CV, complete academic certificates and credentials, references and a letter of motivation), mentioning the reference of this job announcement (ref.#04-20004) before December 4th, 2020 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main