PhD position (m/f/d)
Leibniz Association, Brussels
The Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO) in Halle (Saale), Germany, invites applications for a
PhD position (m/f/d)
on policy impact evaluation in Moldova
for a period of 36 months. The position is to be filled early 2021.
The successful candidate will conduct his/her PhD in the Department of External Environment for Agriculture and Policy Analysis under the supervision of Professor Dr Thomas Herzfeld and Dr Judith Möllers.
The research shall
- improve the understanding of the impact of the recent agricultural policy framework on agricultural producers in the Republic of Moldova based on survey data
- apply advanced statistical and econometric approaches of conducting impact evaluation assessments
- analysing spill-over effects of agricultural policies on rural households and rural development and develop policy recommendations
- The successful candidate will have the opportunity to suggest additional research questions that are linked to the topics above to complement their research agenda
- MSc. degree or equivalent in agricultural economics or applied economics
- Interest in microeconomic and econometric analysis
- Proven experience in planning, designing and implementing field research and data analysis would be an asset
- Flexibility and interest in primary data collection
- Individual commitment to research
- Fluency in English reading, writing and presentation
- Very good command of Romanian, Russian language skills would be an asset
- Communicability, openness and integration into team work
- A unique research and qualification opportunity within a team of young scientists
- Participation in the German Doctoral Certificate Programme in Agricultural Economics (www.agraroekonomik.de) with teaching in English language
- Support to organization and collection of relevant data
- Support to model development, data analysis, simulations and thesis write-up
- Financial support to participation in international and regional academic conferences
- Support to the preparation of publications for topical peer-reviewed journals
The successful candidate will become a member of the IAMO Graduate School and apply for a doctoral degree from Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg (http://www.uni-halle.de/). During the analysis and writing-up period of the dissertation, the doctoral student will be based at IAMO in Halle (Saale). The position is fully financed according to the German TV-L payment scheme scale E 13 (50%) and is foreseen for 36 months. IAMO is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates. Handicapped persons with equal qualifications will be given preference.
Interested candidates should send a set of application documents in English language that include:
- Letter of motivation (maximum 1 page)
- Curriculum vitae
- Copies of all relevant transcripts and certificates of bachelor, master or equivalent courses as well as English language certificates, if the MSc thesis was not written in English
- Research concept on the proposed topic with the suggestion of objectives and methodology (maximum 2 pages)
- Names and contact information of two academic referees
This set of application documents should be sent by e-mail as a single pdf-file to (application.agpolicy(at)iamo.de). Applicants are requested to also submit electronic copies of their master/diploma thesis and (co-) authored scientific publications, if available.
IAMO (www.iamo.de) is a public research institute that pursues basic and applied research in the field of agricultural economics with a focus on the formerly centrally planned economies of Europe and Asia. It is a member of the Leibniz Association (www.leibniz-gemeinschaft.de/en), a German network of non-university research institutes. The city of Halle (www.halle.de/en/home) is located in East Germany, nearby Leipzig, and offers an attractive as well as affordable living environment.
Closing date for the application is 20th of December 2020. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview via email.
Dr. Judith Möllers
Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO)
06120 Halle (Saale)