PhD position/doctoral student (f/m/d)
Leibniz Institute for Neurobiology (LIN), Magdeburg
PhD position/doctoral student (f/m/d)
in systems neuroscience
in the newly founded SFB 1436 “Neural resources of cognition”
We offer a fixed-term positions (3.5 years) with a salary of TV-L E 13 (65%) commencing early 2021 until mid 2024. The position is part of the newly founded Magdeburger SFB consortium on “Neural resources of cognition” and situated at the Leibniz-Institute for Neurobiology (LIN) in Magdeburg.
The central aim of this project is to understand how prefrontal brain circuits allocate exploratory attentional resources in rodents and humans. This conjoint project combines state-of-the-art in vivo recordings, optogenetics and behavior in rodents and is based on a collaboration with human psychology researchers working on complementary behavioral tasks (Prof. Stefan Pollmann, OvGU Magdeburg). Please find more information on recent publications and the project here: https://cloud.lin-magdeburg.de/s/95YZ2JgSkztwfYF
The position is situated in the CortXplorer research group headed by PD Dr. Max Happel at the Leibniz-Institute for Neurobiology.
- long-standing experience with supervision of doctoral thesis and personal scientific development
- integration into state-of-the-art graduate training at the host institution and local university
- young & enthusiastic team with a supportive and friendly working atmosphere
- modern state-of-the-art systems neuroscience methods (chronic in vivo multichannel recordings, optogenetics, behavior)
- fully equipped neuroscience environment and a vivid collaborative scientific network within a newly founded SFB consortium
- participation in international conferences
- high-standard career development (FELASA certification, workshops, programs for female scientists)
- M.Sc./equivalent in Biology, Biomedical engineering, Neuroscience, Life Sciences, or related
- keen interest in systems and cognitive neuroscience and mechanisms of learning & decision-making
- enthusiasm to learn & develop
- independent, self-reliant and dedicated style of work
- strong organizational and communication skills
- native ability to cooperate and to work in a team
- very good written and oral communication skills in English
- knowledge & experience in molecular or cellular techniques are a plus
- programming experience (preferably MATLAB or Python) are advantageous
- foraging behavior in rodents, stereotactic surgeries, chronic in vivo multichannel recordings, optogenetics. Frequently exchange with other members of the SFB consortium
- experimental work, data analysis, presentation of results on scientific conferences, publication of results in international peer-reviewed journals
The LIN Magdeburg is an internationally renowned center for learning and memory research. The CortXplorer group focuses on cortical mechanisms of learning and memory in rodents.
Please find more information about our research group here https://www.lin-magdeburg.de/forschung/abteilung-systemphysiologie-des-lernens/ag-cortxplorer.
Your employment, salary and employee benefits comply with the collective pay agreement (German TV-L). Equal opportunities as well as compatibility of family and work are part of our HR policy. Disabled applicants with equivalent occupational aptitude will be considered preferentially. We are looking forward to your electronic application in English that should include a cover letter stating research interests and previous experience, a CV, and contact information of two referees. Please send one PDF comprising your motivation, CV and copies of relevant certificates to Max Happel (mhappel(at)lin-magdeburg.de).
Interviews will be conducted via video conferencing, followed by a possible on-site visit at the host institutions. Applications are considered until the position is filled.