PhD student (m/f/d)
Leibniz Institute for Farm Animal Biology (FBN), Dummerstorf
The Leibniz Institute for Farm Animal Biology (FBN) is a foundation under public law and member of the Leibniz Association. About 300 employees are performing basic and applied research in the field of the biology of farm animals. The Institute provides an interdisciplinary research environment and excellent experimental and analytical facilities.
The Fish Genetics Unit of the Institute of Genome Biology invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of a
PhD student (m/f/d)
immediately and temporarily until 31.7.2022.
Reference number: 2020-13
Research and own qualification within the framework of the joint project "Bioindicators for the evaluation of the keeping, health and product quality of fish in different aquaculture systems (BioFiA)" funded by the Project Management Jülich (PtJ) on behalf of the BMBF as part of the funding initiative "Innovation areas Bio-economy - Bio-economy at Marine Sites (BaMS)" in cooperation with the universities of Kiel and Rostock and other partners from science and practice.
The aim of the project is to gain new insights into the molecular mechanisms of stress regulation and the innate immune response of salmonids during microalgae diet and in harvest stress, especially by using high-throughput methods at the transcriptomic level. Based on these findings, biochip-based diagnostic methods for testing the stress status and health of salmonids in aquaculture farming systems will be developed.
- Master degree, diploma, or an equivalent degree in biology, aquaculture science, animal science or related fields
- Expertise in fish physiology, molecular biology and cell culture is appreciated
- Willingness to perform molecular biology experiments and lab work, and to work with fish
- Readiness to work in exposed aquaculture sites
- High motivation, initiative and ability to work in an international team
- Experience in dealing with standard PC programs and statistical software (R)
- Fluency in English (oral and written); competence in German (oral) would be advantageous
We are offering:
- A challenging research job in an internationally active and interdisciplinary research institution
- Modern working and family-friendly environment and excellent research conditions and integration into national and international research
- Employment conditions according to the provisions of Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst der Länder (TV-L), remuneration at the level of 50% of salary grade 13 TV-L
- Participation in graduation programs for doctoral students at the University of Rostock
- Active support to facilitate integration into the new living environment and research culture
The Leibniz-FBN is committed to increase the proportion of women in areas where they are under-represented and suitably qualified women are encouraged to apply. Candidates with disabilities will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications and capacity to complete the project. We explicitly encourage applications from international candidates.
Application and travel expenses in the context of the application cannot be reimbursed. By submitting your application, you consent to the processing of your personal data for the purpose of the application procedure.
We look forward to your application. Please send your application (preferable as a single pdf-file), including letter of motivation, detailed CV, copies of diplomas and certificates, and the contact information of references to:
Leibniz Institute for Farm Animal Biology
Verwaltung (St.-Nr. 2020-13)
or via e-mail to personal(at)fbn-dummerstorf.de.
Subject: Verwaltung (St.-Nr. 2020-13)
The application and employment process to hire an eligible candidate are being accepted now and will run until an appropriate candidate is identified. For further information please visit our website at www.fbn-dummerstorf.de.