PhD student (m/f/d)
Research Center Borstel - Leibniz Lung Center (FZB), Borstel
We are announcing for the Research Group Bioanalytical Chemistry a position as
PhD student (m/f/d)
Molecular and structural analysis of S. pneumoniae teichoic acid biosynthesis and implications of teichoic acid alterations on the bacterial pathophysiology
The Borstel Research Center is an internationally renowned research institute with 550 employees, financed by the Federal Government and the State of Schleswig-Holstein. Our central task is research and patient care in the field of respiratory diseases. We operate both basic research infrastructures and a medical clinic. Our goal is to improve existing methods for the detection, prevention and treatment of lung diseases and to develop new, innovative therapeutic approaches.
- Chemical isolation of bacterial cell wall components
- Application of different chromatographic methodologies (HPLC, GPC, prep. TLC)
- Structural characterization of cell wall components using NMR and mass spectrometry
- Optimization and development of MS- and GC/MS-based analysis and quantification methods
- A degree in chemistry or a comparable course of study with a chemical background
- Safe handling of chemical hazardous substances and experience in the application of chromatographic techniques
- Good knowledge in the interpretation of NMR and MS spectra
- Sound practical knowledge of the usual devices is an advantage
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Your new workplace is located in a top class research center close to Hamburg
- Participation in a productive and active team
- Personal atmosphere and support
- 65% part-time job (25.35 hours per week) limited to 3 years
- Payment according to TVöD-VKA incl. all benefits usually offered in the public sector
- Family-friendly working conditions and flexible working hours
- Childcare centre and workplace health promotion
The FZB is certified for the "berufundfamilie" audit and specifically promotes the compatibility of career and family. The under-represented gender is given special consideration while maintaining the same professional and personal aptitude. Severely handicapped persons with otherwise equal aptitude are also given preferential consideration.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Nicolas Gisch on phone +49 45371887190 or by mail at ngisch(at)fz-borstel.de. Please send your application with the usual documents (without photo) exclusively by email up to 30.11.2019 to our website www.fz-borstel.de.
For us, your age, gender and sexual identity, your world view, your ethnicity or a handicap are not important. We are solely interested in your knowledge and skills and your ability to work in a team. If attractive work content and a solution-oriented approach are more important to you than formalities, you are in the right place!