PhD student (m/f/d)
Leibniz Institute for Crystal Growth (IKZ), Berlin
The Leibniz-Institute for Crystal Growth (IKZ) is a leading research institution in the area of science & technology as well as service & transfer of crystalline materials. Our goal is to enable solutions for urgent societal challenges (e.g. communication, artificial intelligence, climate protection, health etc.) by modern electronic & photonic technologies. The work covers the full spectrum from basic over applied research up to pre-industrial development and is performed in collaboration with national and international partners from university, academy and industry. The institute is part of Forschungsverbund Berlin and a member of the Leibniz Association. You can find more details on the institute webpage: www.ikz-berlin.de.
We are currently looking for a PhD student (m/f/d) for the topic “High-melting oxide crystals for solid-state lasers”.
The reduced melting points in the solid-solution series between yttria and scandia enable the growth of these materials by the Czochralski method. By thermodynamic investigations and crystal growth experiments the successful applicant will identify the best suited compositions of laser host materials for rare-earth (RE) ions. The grown crystals will be characterized by optical spectroscopy and in continuous-wave laser operation. In cooperation with our national and international partners advanced experiments on the generation of ultrashort pulses with these materials are planned. The research will be performed in the research group “Center for Laser-Materials” (ZLM). We are equipped with state-of-the art equipment for spectroscopic and laser characterization of crystals. The research will be conducted in close collaboration with the Oxide and Fluoride growth group at the IKZ.
- Thermodynamic investigations on highly melting oxide crystals
- Develop novel crystal compositions and take part in their growth by our crystal growth group
- Spectroscopic and laser characterization of rare-earth doped laser crystals
- Contribute to the exchange in international research collaborations
- Publish your results and contribute to the research progress on RE-doped high melting oxide lasers
- MSc or equivalent degree in physical sciences or a physics related technical discipline
- Solid knowledge in laser physics
- Basic knowledge in optical characterization of solids
- Excellent capability of scientific work as well as its documentation and presentation
- Good knowledge of the English language, knowledge of the German language is preferential
- Ability for team-work in an international team
The position is limited to 3 years, an extension for another year is possible. Payment is according to TVöD-Bund E13 (75%) (Treaty for German public service). The IKZ is an equal opportunity employer. Therefore, female candidates are encouraged to apply and will be preferred in case of adequate qualification. Among equally qualified applicants, preference will be given to disabled candidates.
For further information about the project do not hesitate to contact PD Dr. habil. Christian Kränkel, christian.kraenkel(at)ikz-berlin.de, Phone +49 30 6392 3019.
Are you interested?
Then apply with a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, all relevant certificates and three references by 29th of October 2021. To do so, please go to Job offers/jobs on our homepage click on this advertisement and then on "Apply online". Please send us your complete application documents this way.
We look forward to receiving your application!