PhD student (m/f/d)
Leibniz Institute for Tropospheric Research (TROPOS), Leipzig
The Leibniz Institute for Tropospheric Research (TROPOS) with its approximately 180 employees is an internationally renowned institution for interdisciplinary application-oriented fundamental research in the field of aerosols and clouds and their interaction with each other. Currently, TROPOS, especially the Cloud group, is expanding its modeling activities in the field of turbulence and microphysics in clouds. In this context, the department "Experimental Aerosol and Cloud Microphysics" is looking for a
PhD student (m/f/d)
The part-time position (75%, 30 hours/week) to be filled as of 1.8.2022 is limited to 3 years.
Direct Numerical Simulations (DNS) to clarify the influence of cloud turbulence on cloud droplet freezing and ice crystal growth by the example of (Arctic) stratiform mixed phase clouds.
- Extension of an existing DNS model to describe the above cloud microphysical processes
- Validation and evaluation of the extended model using experimental data from a cloud chamber (PI Chamber, Michigan Tech, USA)
- Application of the DNS model for detailed numerical simulations of ice formation and growth in (Arctic) stratiform mixed-phase clouds and comparison with atmospheric observations (incl. preparation of two atmospheric data sets)
- Completed studies in meteorology, physics, mathematics or a comparable field of study
- Experience in modeling turbulent flows as well as cloud microphysical processes
- Good programming skills in at least one programming language, preferably Fortran, C/C++ and/or Python
- Knowledge and experience in the fields of acquisition/processing of measurement data
- Open-minded, structured and result-oriented way of thinking and working
- Confident handling of the English language, both written and spoken
We offer you:
- A salary according to TV-L 13, including the attractive social benefits of the public service
- Collaboration in an interdisciplinary and multinational team with excellent integration in national and international research networks
- Excellent technical equipment
- An exciting job with a varied activity in an interdisciplinary working environment and a variety of work and family offers as well as flexible working hours and daycare places
If you are interested, please send your complete and informative application documents (CV, cover letter with description of career, education and research interests, references as well as contact details of two references) by 3 June 2022 exclusively by e-mail in one coherent PDF document to bewerbung(at)tropos.de, Keyword: TINIA.
Please contact us if you have any questions about this job offer Dr. Frank Stratmann, frank.stratmann(at)tropos.de, +49 341 2717-7142 or Dr. Dennis Niedermeier, dennis.niedermeier(at)tropos.de, +49 341 2717-7324.
By sending the application documents by e-mail, the applicant agrees to the storage/processing of personal data for the purpose of selection for this job advertisement in accordance with Art. 13 DSGVO. Attention is hereby drawn to the risks associated with the electronic transmission of documents.
TROPOS values the diversity of its employees and pursues the goals of equal opportunity. Selection for the position is made without regard to religion, national origin, political affiliation, marital status, or other differences. In order to increase the proportion of female employees in scientific and science-related positions, we hereby specifically invite female candidates to apply. People with severe disabilities have priority in the hiring process if they have the same suitability, aptitude and professional qualifications.
For more information about TROPOS, please visit the website at www.tropos.de.