PhD student position (m/f/d)
Leibniz Institute for Tropospheric Research (TROPOS), Leipzig
The Leibniz Institute for Tropospheric Research is part of the Leibniz Association and an internationally renowned institute in the field of aerosol and cloud research.
In the framework of the "A risk index for health effects of mineral dust and associated microbes" (DUSTRISK)
project funded by the Leibniz Association and lead by TROPOS, we are looking for a
Ph.D. student (m/f/d)
to perform the various tasks relating to the physicochemical composition of mineral dust particles.
- Run aerosol sampling during two intensive observational campaigns at the Cape Verde Island.
- Perform physicochemical analysis of the aerosol particles including the ionic, organic and heavy metal content of the particles
- Develop methods to quantify the ROS potential of size-resolved particles using novel electron spin resonance methods and conventional chemical assays
- Map dust chemical signatures and dust source regions data for evaluation of dust source regions effects
- Compare aerosol chemical composition observations with model outputs on dust occurrence to investigate dust chemical interactions during transport
Applicants should have a Master’s degree in chemistry, biochemistry, environmental sciences or related disciplines. Experiences in atmospheric sciences, epidemiological or toxicological studies, data processing, and field studies are of advantage.
Fluent English in written and oral form is mandatory.
The position will start ideally on 1 July 2020 and is limited to three years until 30 June 2023.
You will be offered:
- The opportunity to work in an international group of collaborative colleagues that will support you in obtaining your career goals
- Exposure to a network of experts and students in an interdisciplinary team to enhance your communication skills and career perspectives
- Flexible working hours and children day-care opportunities for applicants with children
- A salary level according to the German public service regulation (65% TV-L 13) including the attractive social benefits of the public sector. The employment includes a part-time position of 26 hours/week
In order to increase the proportion of female employees in scientific and academic positions, we specifically invite female candidates to apply. People with severe disabilities have priority in their recruitment if they have the same aptitude and professional qualifications.
Send your application including; a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, certificates, and contact details of 2 references by the 15th of April 2020 exclusively by e-mail in one PDF document bewerbung(at)tropos.de.
By submitting the application documents by e-mail, the applicant agrees to the storage/processing of personal data in accordance with Art. 13 DSGVO for the purpose of selecting applicants for this job advertisement. The risks involved in sending documents electronically are hereby pointed out.