PhD student position (m/f/d)
Leibniz Institute for Farm Animal Biology (FBN), Dummerstorf
The Institute of Genome Biology at the FBN invites applications for a three year fixed-term
PhD student position (m/f/d)
starting as soon as possible.
Reference number: 2019-22
Research and own qualification within a collaborative project between the Genomics Unit of the Institute of Genome Biology at the Leibniz-FBN and the University of Hohenheim funded by the German Research Council (DFG Forschergruppe P-Fowl). Within an interdisciplinary project we will address the molecular pathways and endocrine determinants of the phosphorus metabolism in quails and laying hens. Therefore we will analyze the differential gene expression at the background of different genotypes and phenotypes using Next-Generation-Sequencing (NGS) techniques and bioinformatics tools. The project aims to improve the efficiency of phosphorus use in animal breeding in order to save this valuable resource and to reduce the environmental impact caused by phosphates.
- Master's degree (or equivalent in biology, veterinary medicine, animal sciences or a related field)
- Interest and expertise in the genetics and genomics of farm animals
- Ability to plan, organize and conduct experiments
- Ability to present and publish the results
- Experience with standard PC programs and statistical software as well as NGS data analysis
- Fluency in English (oral and written) and competence in German (oral) would be an advantage
We are offering:
- Interesting and challenging research in a performance-orientated and family-friendly environment
- Modern research facilities and a strong focus on international collaboration
- Employment conditions according to the provisions of Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst der Länder (TV-L)
- remuneration at the level of 65% of salary grade 13 TV-L
- Pro-active support to facilitate integration into the new living environment and research culture
The Leibniz Institute for Farm Animal Biology (FBN) is a foundation under public law and member of the Leibniz Association. The Institute with about 300 employees is performing fundamental and applied re- search in the field of the biology of farm animals. The Institute provides an interdisciplinary research environment and excellent experimental and analytical facilities.
We are an internationally-oriented research institute focusing on basic and applied research on the biology of domestic livestock. The Institute is committed to increase the proportion of women in areas where they are under-represented and suitably qualified women are encouraged to apply. Candidates with disabilities will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications and capacity to complete the project. We explicitly encourage applications from international candidates.
We regret that any expenses in the context of the application cannot be reimbursed. By submitting your application, you consent to the processing of your personal data for the purpose of the application procedure.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of application (single pdf-file preferred) including the reference number, experience and reasons for interest in the position, current curriculum vitae and academic record, addresses of two referees and copies of relevant documents.
The application and employment process to hire an eligible candidate are being accepted now and will run until an appropriate candidate is identified.
For more detailed information contact Prof. Klaus Wimmers (wimmers(at)fbn-dummerstorf.de, 038208/68 600) or Dr. Michael Oster (oster(at)fbn-dummerstorf.de, 038208/68 706), per e-mail to personal(at)fbn-dummerstorf.de, per post to:
Leibniz Institute for Farm Animal Biology (FBN)
Verwaltung (St.Nr: 2019-22)
Further information can be found under www.fbn-dummerstorf.de.