Position in Research Data Engineering und Knowledge Management in the field of Humanities and Cultural Studies (m/f/d)
Herder Institute for Historical Research on East Central Europe - Institute of the Leibniz Association (HI), Marburg
The Herder Institute for Historical Research on East Central Europe – Institute of the Leibniz Association in Marburg is seeking to fill a position in
Research Data Engineering und Knowledge Management (m/f/d), E 13 TV-H, 100%, suitable for part-time work, reference number DIFI_2023-02-RDE
on a permanent basis at the earliest possible date.
The Herder Institute focuses on the history and culture of East Central Europe. It conducts original research based on its extensive collections, including projects in the field of history and the collection-related cultural studies. The advertised position is in the Department of Digital Research and Information Infrastructures. In addition to cross-sectional tasks in the development of in-house research infrastructures as well as consulting activities, this department also carries out third-party funded projects.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Support in requirements design, implementation, and introduction of digital infrastructure solutions in cooperation with the other departments of the Institute, including, among other things, tendering at national and international level, commissioning and coordination of service providers and technology partners.
- Development and permanent operation of a data warehouse solution for the integration of heterogeneous, historically grown data storage and the conception of a discovery platform for comprehensive search.
- Transfer of data from legacy data repositories into state-of-the-art solutions.
- Advice on the introduction of research infrastructure solutions regarding their suitability for the needs of the institution.
- Experimental testing of front-end solutions for data discovery and the back enrichment with user-generated content.
- Design of semantically robust data models that are compatible with the GLAM sector and implementation of schemas for interoperability and standards-compliant enhancement of existing systems.
- Information science support for the development of semantic data models for the historical disciplines, taking into account their specific methodological challenges (e.g. mapping of uncertainties, ambiguities and attributions at the data level, inclusion of source-critical methodology)
- Experimental back enrichment of data with automated methods (e.g. text/image indexing with supervised and unsupervised machine learning methods).
You have a background in Information Science, Computer Science, Data Science or Digital or Computational Humanities, evidenced by a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or relevant work experience.
Your profile includes:
- a focus on or practical experience in the collection, validation and preparation of high-quality datasets and the integration of different data sources
- an interest in working with multifaceted and high-dimensional datasets as well as typical challenges in the humanities and cultural studies such as semantic opacity, vagueness, variance, and fuzziness
- the ability to develop and willingness to engage in interdisciplinary exchange (for example in the context of requirements engineering).
You should also have in-depth knowledge in at least two of the following areas:
- Semantic Web technologies such as RDF and graph-based modelling.
- Experience in modelling research data in the humanities and cultural sciences
- Experience in the supervision of research infrastructure projects and support for the transfer of legacy data repositories into new formats
- Data science procedures for knowledge extraction and back enrichment in the areas of text and/or image data
- Metadata standards in the fields of humanities and cultural studies (e.g. LIDO, MARC21, EAD) and the use and development of ontologies (e.g. CIDOC CRM), standards files (e.g. GND) and thesauri (e.g. Getty AAT).
- an innovation-oriented workplace in the field of information services at a non-university research institute
- a committed and friendly working environment
- a permanent position in accordance with the collective agreement for the public service of the federal states with its extensive benefits and flexible, family-friendly working hours
- a varied, independent, and multifaceted job in a committed, innovative environment and the opportunity to help shape the future development of the institute
- the opportunity for professional advancement and further training
- a company agreement with generous opportunities for location-flexible work
- a unique workplace high on Marburg’s Schlossberg amid a varied, green landscape and in a culturally vibrant city that offers a wealth of leisure opportunities
The position is part-time and can be split if suitable complementary persons apply.
We would be delighted to have you join us and our team for this important task.
The Herder Institute pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. Therefore, we strongly encourage qualified women to apply. Severely disabled applicants will be given special consideration in case of equal suitability. The Herder Institute has been certified with the Total E-Quality award for equal opportunities since 2010, with which the Institute is committed to an equal-opportunity and appreciative personnel policy, among other things by actively promoting gender equality and preventing discrimination according to the criteria of the General Equal Treatment Act. The Herder Institute understands itself as a family-friendly institution. Applicants with children are welcome. We offer, for example, flexible working hours, the possibility of location-flexible working and a parent-child room.
Please send your application with the usual documents under the above-mentioned reference number exclusively by e-mail in the form of a single PDF file by 10.02.2023 to the Head of Department Digital Research and Information Infrastructures of the Herder Institute (simon.donig(at)herder-institut.de). To prevent discrimination, we kindly ask you to refrain from sending application photos. The interviews are expected to take place in the 08th calendar week of 2023.