Postdoc in Genetics and Genomics (m/f/x)
Leibniz Institute on Aging - Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI), Jena
The Leibniz Institute on Aging - Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI) in Jena is a federal and state government-funded researchinstitute and member of the Leibniz Association (Leibniz-Gemeinschaft). FLI’ s internationally visible and highly competitiveresearch is focused on understanding the mechanisms of aging and associated age-related diseases. Scientists from over 40countries are currently investigating the molecular mechanisms of aging and the occurrence of age-related diseases. Our aim isto create the basis for new approaches in medicine as a way to improve the health of the elderly.
The research group led by Prof. Dr. Dario Riccardo Valenzano at FLI is currently looking for a highly motivated and talented Postdoctoral Researcher to join their team:
Postdoc in Genetics and Genomics (m/f/x)
Research focus of the Lab: The Valenzano Lab is dedicated to unraveling the complex interplay between genetic andecological factors that underlie survival and aging. Their research encompasses evolutionary ecology and immune system-microbiome interactions during the aging process. This multidisciplinary research involves genetic mapping, comparativegenomics, population genetics, cell culture, transgenesis, and numerical simulations.
Tasks and Challenges:
The candidate will lead research into the evolution of lifehistory traits in Killifish, with a strong emphasis on extremelongevity. Leveraging our group's past work, which dissectedadaptive and neutral forces in Killifish life history traitevolution, the Postdoctoral Researcher will conduct in-depthgenomic and proteomic analyses. They will develop and testmodels explaining extreme longevity in Turquoise Killifish(Nothobranchius furzeri). A multidisciplinary approach,merging population genetics, statistical genetics, genomics,evolutionary ecology, data science, and physics, will beessential.The role requires independent scientific exploration,meticulous planning, and effective communication, includingadvanced data analysis.
This work takes place at FLI in Jena, Germany, supported byexpert animal care takers, technicians, and top-tier researchand animal facilities.
- Ph.D. in Biology, Life Science, Biomedicine, or a relatedfield with a strong background in population genetics,statistical genetics, genomics, evolutionary ecology, datascience, and/or physics. Candidates with PhD in physicsand experience in population genetics will also beconsidered
- Genuine interest in pursuing an independent academiccareer and a passion for unraveling the geneticmechanisms underlying extreme longevity
- Expertise in the analysis of large-scale genomic andproteomics datasets
- Excellent skills in data analysis, statistical modeling, andcomputational biology
- A track record of publishing research findings in peer-reviewed
- Excellent spoken and written English skills
- By joining FLI, you will become part of a world-leading research institute dedicated to the biology of aging. The ValenzanoLab is at the forefront of researching the evolution of extreme longevity phenotypes, and your contributions will shape ourunderstanding of life history trait evolution in Turquoise Killifish (Nothobranchius furzeri).
- Access to multiple state-of-the-art facilities. Our work is embedded in the Beutenberg Campus, an interdisciplinary base forinnovative research.
- A position integrated in the FLI PostDoc Network. The Network promotes interdisciplinary collaborations involving clinicianscientists, basic scientists and bioinformaticians and supports career development and postdoctoral training courses.
- The contract conditions and the salary will be according to the collective labour agreement for public service employees ofthe federal states of Germany (TV-L E13) for 2 years initially, with the possibility of extension.
- Flexible working time, a family friendly working environment that provides a healthy work-life balance, company healthmanagement including support for child care solutions and dual career options.
- We provide support with various qualification and further training opportunities, use of the Haufe knowledge databases andthe Haufe learning platform with numerous different online courses.
Please apply online through the FLI application portal by 15.10.2023 and provide a cover letter, your CV, your degreesand the names and contacts of up to 4 referees.
Applications will be analyzed regarding skills, competences and qualifications. All qualified persons, regardless of gender,nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion or belief, disability, age, sexual orientation and identity or other classificationprotected by law will receive consideration for employment.