Postdoc in Microbiome (m/f/x)
Leibniz Institute on Aging - Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI), Jena
The Leibniz Institute on Aging - Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI) in Jena is a federal and state government-funded researchinstitute and member of the Leibniz Association (Leibniz-Gemeinschaft). FLI’ s internationally visible and highly competitiveresearch is focused on understanding the mechanisms of aging and associated age-related diseases. Scientists from over 40countries are currently investigating the molecular mechanisms of aging and the occurrence of age-related diseases. Our aim isto create the basis for new approaches in medicine as a way to improve the health of the elderly (www.leibniz-fli.de).
The research group led by Prof. Dr. Dario Riccardo Valenzano at FLI is currently looking for a highly motivated and talented Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/x) to join their team:
Postdoc in Microbiome (m/f/x)
Research focus of the Lab:
The Valenzano Lab investigates the genetic and ecological factors involved invertebrate survivaland aging. We study the cross-talk between immune system and the microbiome during organismal aging. Our experimentaland analytical ap-proaches include genetic mapping, comparative genomics, population genetics, cell culture, transgenesis andnumerical simulations.
Tasks and Challenges:
This candidate will explore microbiome-host interactionsduring aging, a core research team in the Valenzano group. This work will be integrated as part of the research focus“functional microbiome interactions in aging”, which consistsof four research teams at the FLI.
The candidate is asked to adopt a multi-disciplinary approach,which involves molecular cloning, culturomics, classicalmicrobiology, as well as high-throughput screening ofmicrobial isolates, phage isolation and microbialmetagenomics.
The candidate is expected to be scientifically independent,able to plan, discuss and communicate at high level allaspects of the project, including data analysis.
- PhD in Biology, Life Science, Biomedicine, or equivalent
- Genuine interest in pursuing independent academic career
- Experience in microbiology, culturomics, high-throughputscreening, molecular biology of aging, and/or genomics
- Excellent spoken and written English
- FELASA-equivalente certification and experience inanimalexperiment planning is a plus, but not aprerequisite
- The candidate will be integrated in a world-leading research institute focused on biology of aging. The Valenzano lab is at theforefront at the study of host-microbiome interactions during vertebrate aging and has pioneered the use of the Africanturquoise killifish (Nothobranchius furzeri) in aging research.
- Access to multiple state-of-the-art facilities. Our work is embedded in the Beutenberg Campus, an interdisciplinary base forinnovative research.
- A position integrated in the FLI PostDoc Network. The Network promotes interdisciplinary collaborations involving clinicianscientists, basic scientists and bioinformaticians and supports career development and postdoctoral training courses.
- The contract conditions and the salary will be according to the collective labour agreement for public service employees ofthe federal states of Germany (TV-L E13) for 2 years initially, with the possibility of extension.
- Flexible working time, a family friendly working environment that provides a healthy work-life balance, company healthmanagement including support for child care solutions and
- dual career options.
- We provide support with various qualification and further training opportunities, use of the Haufe knowledge databases andthe Haufe learning platform with numerous different online courses.
Please apply online through the FLI application portal by 15.10.2023 and provide a cover letter, your CV, your degreesand the names and contacts of up to 4 referees.
Applications will be analyzed regarding skills, competences and qualifications. All qualified persons, regardless of gender,nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion or belief, disability, age, sexual orientation and identity or other classificationprotected by law will receive consideration for employment.