Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology - BIPS, Bremen
The Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology – BIPS, Department Biometry and Data Management, offers a position as a
Postdoc in Statistical Machine Learning (m/f/d)
Salary scale 13 of the German public sector salary system (TV-L)
The position starts as early as possible (administrative clearance permitting). The contract is initially limited to 3 years (extension possible), 39.2 hours/week (100% position). The position is generally suitable for part-time employment.
The Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology – BIPS is one of the leading epidemiological research institutions in Germany and a member of the Leibniz Association. The position is in the Emmy Noether Junior Research Group: Beyond Prediction - Statistical Inference with Machine Learning, funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) and lead by Marvin N. Wright. The research group develops statistical inference methods for machine learning with focus on problems faced in epidemiology such as confounding, high-dimensional data and survival outcomes. The group cooperates with researchers from the University of Oxford, University of Copenhagen and Stanford University.
The ideal candidate would be a statistician with strong interest in machine learning and applications in medicine and epidemiology.
- develop new statistical methods for interpretable machine learning
- participate in joint (international) research projects
- publish and present research results
- develop software packages
- support acquisition of external funding, develop independent research projects
- co-supervise PhD students
- PhD degree (or equivalent) in (bio-)statistics, mathematics, data science, computer science or related disciplines
- strong background in statistics
- interest in machine learning
- programming skills in R, Python, Matlab, C++, Java or similar
- publication experience in international journals
- good command of spoken and written English
- initiative, motivation, commitment, and scientific curiosity
We offer exciting research topics, a stimulating international environment, a good infrastructure, close ties to the University of Bremen and an engaged, supportive and cooperative team. Postdocs are encouraged to strive for scientific independence and to establish their own research focus.
Severely disabled applicants will be given priority conditional on equal professional and personal qualifications. The Institute strives to promote its employees’ work-life balance and has been certified for its family friendliness (audit “berufundfamilie”). We also offer additional support for international scholars to relocate to Germany through the Welcome Center of the UBremen Research Alliance.
Enquiries to: Dr. Marvin N. Wright, phone: +49 421 218 56 945, e-mail: wright(at)leibniz-bips.de
Please send your application in English or German with the usual documents quoting the reference number A20/33 by December 14, 2020 by e-mail as a single PDF file to: bewerbung(at)leibniz-bips.de.
Leibniz-Institut für Präventionsforschung und Epidemiologie – BIPS GmbH
We kindly ask you not to submit any originals or folders, as we cannot return any applications for cost reasons. All supplied documents will be destroyed after the selection process.
Additional information can be found on our homepage: www.leibniz-bips.de/en.