Research Center Borstel - Leibniz Lung Center (FZB), Borstel
We are announcing a full-time position as
The position is offered for 3 years.
The Borstel Research Center is an internationally renowned research institute with 550 employees, financed by the Federal Government and the State of Schleswig-Holstein. Our central task is research and patient care in the field of respiratory diseases. We operate both basic research infrastructures and a medical clinic. Our goal is to improve existing methods for the detection, prevention and treatment of lung diseases and to develop new, innovative therapeutic approaches.
We are looking for a postdoctoral researcher for the implementation of a metagenomics pipeline into an existing high throughput bacterial genome analysis platform. You will establish a computational workflow for the analysis of microbiome data from patients with lung diseases under varying treatment conditions. In addition, the position includes the detection of SARS-CoV-2 sequences in samples from routine Covid-19 diagnostics. Both projects are embedded in the German cluster of excellence "Precision Medicine in chronic inflammation" with well-defined patient cohorts and results will likely have immediate clinical impact for treatment and diagnosis of lung diseases. The work involves the assessment and integration of statistical methods, data validation, and bioinformatics tools, as well as interactions with a growing team of computational and wet-lab scientists.
- PhD in life sciences, bioinformatics, or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience with (meta)genomics pipelines and next generation sequencing data
- Experience with PacificBiosciences, Oxford Nanopore, and Illumina data is a plus
- Good programming skills (perl, python, R)
- Proficiency in Unix/Linux OS
- Good communication skills (English and/or German)
- Your new workplace is located in a top class research center close to Hamburg
- Participation in a productive and active team
- Personal atmosphere and support
- Payment according to TVöD-VKA incl. all benefits usually offered in the public sector
- Family-friendly working conditions and flexible working hours
- Childcare centre and workplace health promotion
The FZB is certified for the "berufundfamilie" audit and specifically promotes the compatibility of career and family. The under-represented gender is given special consideration while maintaining the same professional and personal aptitude. Severely handicapped persons with otherwise equal aptitude are also given preferential consideration.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Prof. Dr. Stefan Niemann on +4945371887620. Please send your application with the usual documents (without photo) up to 15.6.2020 to our website www.fz-borstel.de.
For us, your age, gender and sexual identity, your world view, your ethnicity or a handicap are not important. We are solely interested in your knowledge and skills and your ability to work in a team. If attractive work content and a solution-oriented approach are more important to you than formalities, you are in the right place!