Postdoc-position ISIMIP (m/f/d)
Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK)
The climate needs bright minds. The Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) addresses crucial scientific questions in the fields of global change, climate impacts and sustainable development. It is one of the world's leading research institutions in its field and offers natural and social scientists from around the world an inspiring environment for excellent interdisciplinary research.
The ISIMIP team (www.isimip.org) at PIK brings together modellers of diverse disciplines, researching how nature and humans are impacted by climate change. We curate the world’s largest archive of climate-impact data and are now building a new data portal based on the ideas of Open Science and Open Data.
We look for a postdoctoral researcher to push forward the evaluation of ISIMIP model simulations. You will utilize existing observational datasets, and explore and build new datasets for evaluation of our model ensembles. Your work will produce indicators to be published on our data portal to increase transparency of our work. You will join a team of scientists that work at the forefront of climate impact research and are committed to make science more open, accessible and actionable.
Postdoc-position ISIMIP (m/f/d)
(Position number: RD3-postdoc position-50-2019)
starts in early 2020 and is funded until 31st March 2022.
Remuneration is in accordance with the German public tariff scheme (TV-L Brandenburg), salary group E 13. This is a full-time position with a working time of 40 hours per week. Appointment is conditional on approval by the funding agency. The position can be filled on a part-time basis.
- advance our understanding of the impacts of climate change by testing it against observational data
- explore new datasets and methods for model evaluation
- translate your findings to quality indicators that inform users of ISIMIP data
- a master or PhD in Naturel Sciences or in a related topic
- programming skills (ideally Python or R)
- experience in working collaboratively on science and software
- good command of English
- the chance to be part of a creative, interdisciplinary team
- a stimulating working environment in an internationally recognised research institute on Potsdam's beautiful, historic Telegrafenberg campus, a short commuting distance from Berlin,
- a collective pay scheme and associated benefits
PIK seeks to increase the share of women in scientific positions and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. In cases of equal qualification and within the given legal scope, women will be given preference. Applications by persons with a migration background are expressly encouraged. Applications of disabled persons with equal qualifications will be regarded favourably. PIK also encourages applications by parents returning from parental leave.
Please send your full application as a single PDF document by Email, quoting the position number given above and mentioning where you read about the position by 8.12.2019 at the latest to bewerbung(at)pik-potsdam.de.
The size of the file should not exceed 15 MB.
For further information or to discuss the position please contact Mr. Matthias Mengel, Telephone +49 (0)331-288-2460.