PostDoc Position (m/f/d)
Leibniz Research Centre for Working Environment and Human Factors (IfADo), Dortmund
‘Forschungsgesellschaft für Arbeitsphysiologie und Arbeitsschutz e.V. Dortmund’ (legal entity name) is a research institution institutionally funded by the German Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs and the State of North Rhine-Westphalia. It is the sponsor of ’Leibniz Research Centre for Working Environment and Human Factors at TU Dortmund’ (IfADo). IfADo explores the risks and potentials of modern work in interdisciplinary approaches. We combine the disciplines of Ergonomics, Immunology, Toxicology, Psychology and Neurosciences.
The ImageTox group https://lab.vartak.org/ is looking for the following to start as soon as possible a
PostDoc Position (m/f/d)
for an innovative project at the interface of microscopy, computational imaging and translational medicine. The position is available immediately and initially limited to 2 years.
The project aims to develop label-free Raman imaging coupled with machine learning based segmentation methods of hyper-spectral images.
Specific goals require the identification of Raman fingerprints as signatures of liver disease/progression in serum and tissue samples. Such a Raman fingerprint may be present at multiple scales – from spectra of sub-cellular organelles, cytoplasm, tissue structures or in global average spectra. We expect the same methodology to be applied for identification of these sub-cellular and tissue structures through Raman imaging as well. The methodology may be augmented if desired with other label-free methodologies such as 2-photon autofluorescence, fluorescence lifetime imaging, and second harmonic imaging. The machine-learning approach is required as hyperspectral imaging data is information-dense and classification of the samples into categories of interest may depend on the several features over the entire spectrum – e.g. peak shifts, changes in amplitude, changes in structure, or number of sub-cellular organelles and tissue structure. Samples used for the project will initially be derived from mouse and cellular models of disease. Eventually, validation of the findings against human patient samples is planned.
- Familiarity with computational image processing in Python, ImageJ, MATLAB etc.
- Willingness to dive deep into microscopy and imaging. Experience with Raman imaging, confocal microscopy, FLIM etc. is desirable
- Willingness to learn or experience in processing of animal tissue samples.
- Familiarity with basic mammalian cell culture
- We do not necessarily expect pre-existing expertise in all the requirements of the project. The successful candidate will be expected to develop the necessary expertise through the guidance of experts in the group
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- English proficiency in speaking and writing
- master’s degree or diploma in the field of molecular biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, biology, pharmacy or a related course of studies
- A full-time position with currently 39,83 working hours per week
- Remuneration according to the collective agreement for the public service (position EG 13 TV-L. The classification depends on the collective agreement and personal requirements)
- All social benefits provided by working for the public service: e.g. an annual bonus, payment of benefits
- Flexible working time models for the compatibility of family and career
- Good accessibility by public transport
- Attractive region with a wide range of cultural activities
- An interesting, professional challenge in which you can contribute and expand your expertise and competence with a high degree of independence in an interdisciplinary team
- An exciting task and many opportunities for further training
The IfADo promotes professional equality for all genders and is certified accordingly.
We value diversity and therefore welcome all applications - regardless of gender, disability, nationality or ethnic and social origin.
Have we aroused your interest?
Then please send your meaningful application documents with a CV, a synopsis of previous work and publications, as well as 2 recommendation letters (optional) including the reference code "PostDoc Vartak"until 28th of February 2022, preferably by mail to bewerbung(at)ifado.de.
Alternative you can send your application* by post to the following address:
Forschungsgesellschaft für Arbeitsphysiologie und Arbeitsschutz e.V.
*We ask that application documents be submitted preferably by email or only in copies and not in folders, as the documents will not be returned. These will be destroyed in accordance with data protection regulations after the retention period has expired.
General information about the Research Centre can be found here www.ifado.de.