PostDoc/Senior Researcher (m/f/d)
FIZ Karlsruhe – Leibniz Institute for Information Infrastructure
FIZ Karlsruhe – Leibniz Institute for Information Infrastructure is an internationally leading provider of scientific information and services.
We provide patent and research information for science and industry. To this end, we index very large amounts of data from many different sources. In addition we develop and operate innovative information services and e-research solutions for a precise research and intelligent analysis of these data. For this purpose we conduct applied research. Our customers include international market leaders from the pharmaceutical and chemical industries as well as large patent offices and research institutions.
FIZ Karlsruhe is a non-profit GmbH and one of the largest information infrastructure institutions in Germany with approximately 300 employees at two locations in Germany and at one subsidiary in the US.
Information Service Engineering (ISE) investigates models and methods for efficient semantic indexing, aggregation, linking, and retrieval of comprehensive heterogeneous and distributed data sources. To this end, both statistic and linguistic analysis methods (NLP) as well as machine learning in combination with symbolic logic and interference mechanisms are applied. ISE research relies and extends on knowledge representation standards developed for the Semantic Web. ISE research application areas include but are not limited to solutions for semantic annotation, semantic search, exploratory search, as well as recommender systems and question answering.
We are recruiting for the position of a
PostDoc/Senior Researcher (m/f/d)
starting in November 2019.
- The offered position will be in the FIZ ISE research team
- Innovative research on ISE research topics including scientific publications, third party funding proposals, active involvement in professional academic activities
- Teaching (at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, KIT) is not mandatory, but welcome on a volunteer basis
- Supervision of KIT master & bachelor theses, Co-supervision of FIZ PhD students
We offer a productive and continuously evolving research environment, in which you can discuss ideas with ISE team members working on related topics as well as having the opportunity to build up your own research team
The goal is to perform internationally leading research which can be applied in high impact use cases
This position is part of the work on the innovation platform MaterialDigital, in particular related to ontology design for material sciences
Qualifications and Skills:
- A completed PhD and Master degree in a relevant field (Computer Science or related)
- Publications of research results in renowned, peer-reviewed journals and conferences
- Proven software engineering skills and the ability to develop mature software components beyond pure research prototypes
- Successful supervision of bachelor and master students
- Successful collaborations with other research groups, industry, as well as open-source and community initiatives, for example in the context of publicly funded collaborative research projects
- Successful competition for funding by national and international funding bodies
- Excellent English skills, written and spoken, German language skills are highly beneficial
Expertise in one or more of the following fields of research:
- Ontological Engineering
- Semantic Web Technologies
- Knowledge Discovery and Knowledge Mining
The candidate should be highly self-motivated, be interested in tackling challenging research problems, have organizational skills, be open minded, and have scientific leadership potential.
A creative, active, internationally renowned research group, support for publication at leading international conferences, and an outstanding working environment in a new, technically excellent campus. We offer you the chance to shape future-oriented information services in an innovative scientific and technological environment.
Work contract with a salary based on the collective agreement for public sector employees (German Tarifvertrag öffentlicher Dienst (TVöD)), which depends on the candidate’s profile. The position is limited to two years with an optional extension.
How to apply:
Excellent candidates are invited to apply with:
- detailed curriculum vitae
- copies of degree certificates/transcripts (including grade sheets)
- publication record (including DBLP or Google Scholar profile)
- writing samples/copies of relevant scientific papers (e. g. thesis, etc.)
- letters of recommendation (preferably at least two from previous supervisors)
- a statement of interest/letter of motivation covering your research goals and why you think you can contribute to FIZ ISE research
FIZ Karlsruhe is committed to promoting the careers of women and therefore looks forward to receiving applications by female candidates. FIZ Karlsruhe also positively welcomes applications from suitably qualified disabled people.
We are also committed to work-life balance and equal opportunity (https://www.fiz-karlsruhe.de/en/stellenanzeigen).
For questions, please contact Prof. Dr. Harald Sack (Harald.Sack(at)fiz-karlsruhe.de).
Please send your complete application documents by regular mail or by e-mail, quoting the reference number 14/2019, to:
FIZ Karlsruhe – Leibniz Institute for Information Infrastructure GmbH
Mrs. Nadine Lambert
Phone: +49 7247/808-245