Postdoctoral Researacher (m/f/d) in botany/bioinformatics (100%)
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Frankfurt am Main
For over 200 years the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) represents one of the most relevant institutions investigating nature and its diversity. Currently, scientists from more than 40 countries across 11 locations in Germany conduct research in the fields of biodiversity, earth system analysis and climate change. The head office of Senckenberg is Frankfurt am Main together with the Senckenberg Research Institute and Natural History Museum Frankfurt.
In the context of a research project on the phylogeny of Marcgraviaceae, we invite applications for a
Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d)
in botany/bioinformatics (100%)
The project is funded by the German research foundation (DFG) and focusses on elucidating the evolutionary history of the neotropical plant family Marcgraviaceae which is diverse in its morphology, pollination syndromes and geography.
- Managing and developing bioinformatic pipelines for editing and analyzing genomic sequence data (Gene Capture)
- Performing phylogenomic analyses, molecular dating, reconstructing trait and niche evolution and historical biogeography
- Lab work, especially DNA extraction, PCR, Next Generation Sequencing
- Writing scientific manuscripts and reports
- Presenting research results at conferences and in the relevant scientific journals
- University degree - preferably Ph.D.- in biology (systematics and evolution of seed plants) / bioinformatics (evolution/ sequence analysis) with
- Experiences with next generation sequencing and analysis of phylogenomic data
- Expertise with phylogenomic methods, reconstruction of trait evolution and molecular dating methods
- Good knowledge of seed plant systematics
- Active publication record in international journals
- Very good skills in managing scientific projects
- Excellent English (written/oral)
- an interesting task in an international research project
- the possibility to build and extend your network with scientists at an international level and to attend national and international conferences
- a workplace in the city of Frankfurt, a lively and diverse city with high life quality
- flexible working hours – annual special payment – company pension scheme – Senckenberg badge for free entry in museums in Frankfurt – a family-conscious personnel policy (“audit berufundfamilie”)
Salary and benefits are in accordance with a public service position in Germany (collective agreement TV-H, payment category E 13).
The contract shall start as soon as possible and will be limited to 24 months.
We look forward to your application!
Please send your application, mentioning the reference of this job offer (ref. #01-19030) by November 30th, 2019 (deadline) by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) and including
- a cover letter describing your suitability and motivation
- a detailed CV
- your credentials and certificates
- a list of publications
and contact details of two potential referees to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung