Postdoctoral Research Fellow (f/m/d)
WZB Berlin Social Science Center
For its research department Transformations of Democracy (TD) (Director: Professor Daniel Ziblatt) the Berlin Social Science Center (WZB) is looking for a
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (f/m/d)
from April 1, 2023, to March 31, 2024, for 39 hours per week.
The WZB Berlin Social Science Center is a publicly financed research institution that conducts leading edge theory-based and problem-oriented social science research (www.wzb.eu/en). The research department TD focuses on “transformations in democracy”—forward movements of democratization, backward trends of de-democratization, and innovations in democratic institutions and practice to cope with the new pressures on democracy around the world (www.wzb.eu/en/research/dynamics-of-political-systems/transformations-of-democracy ).
Your tasks and duties
As a postdoc researcher you will conduct independent research, research collaboratively with the team and provide research support on one or several ongoing projects:
Project A: New threats to Democracy
Project B: Democratic Norms: Erosion or Change?
Project C: Evolution of Democratic Ideas
Project D: Democratic Transitions and Authoritarian Persistence
You are expected to closely cooperate within your project as well as with the other members of the department and to play a leading role in developing the unit’s workshops and research projects.
Your qualifications profile
Applicants are expected to have:
- completed a Ph.D. in political science or a related social science discipline
- a vibrant and creative research agenda
- knowledge of, and excellent skills in quantitative research and quantitative methods
- excellent writing and communication skills in English
- knowledge of German language is useful though not required
- good organizational skills as well as willingness and capacity for teamwork
- remuneration in accordance with EG 14 TVöD Bund
- additional benefits for public service employees (VBL U)
- a well-equipped workplace in the center of Berlin
- international, cooperative, and diversified working environment
- In-depth integration into the scientific community in the form of colloquiums and conferences
- thorough instruction and guidance
- flexible working hours
- we promote a good work-life balance, and our engagement has been certified by audit workandfamily and the European Commission’s Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R)
- comprehensive program for continuous professional development and further qualification, in the own discipline and beyond
- cafeteria with modern recreation rooms
- discounted VBB company ticket
Equally qualified applicants with disabilities will be given preference. We value diversity and welcome all applications – irrespective of gender, nationality, ethnic or social origin, religion, disability, age, or sexual orientation. WZB expressly encourages women or persons with migration backgrounds to apply.
For more information about the research department follow this www.wzb.eu/en/research/dynamics-of-political-systems/transformations-of….
If you have any questions regarding the job opening, please contact application-dps[at]wzb.eu with “postdoctoral fellow application” in the subject line.
Have we sparked your interest?
In that case, we are looking forward to receiving your online application by 15 October 2022 by https://wzb.hr4you.org/applicationForm.php?sid=149&page_lang=en.
Candidates are requested to submit a CV, writing sample, cover letter (in English), relevant certificates, one letter of reference and contact information for two additional references. The cover letter should outline a research agenda for the period of application.
For more information about WZB, see www.wzb.eu.