Postdoctoral research fellows (f/m/d)
WZB Berlin Social Science Center
The Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung gGmbH (WZB Berlin Social Science Centre) is looking to hire two
Postdoctoral research fellows (f/m/d)
The positions are full-time (currently 39 hours per week) and with an initial contract duration of three years with the possibility of renewal for more than three years. Depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate, an initial contract duration of more than three years may be possible.
The starting date is flexible, but no later than September 2021.
The positions will be within the interdisciplinary research department Migration, Integration, Transnationalization, headed by Prof. Ruud Koopmans.
The department focuses on issues related to migration, integration, and majority-minority relations, including ethnic and religious conflicts as drivers of migration in source countries. The research takes an interdisciplinary perspective, encompassing sociology, political science, social psychology, economics, law, and political philosophy. Ongoing research foci include patterns and drivers of migration from West Africa; religious fundamentalism and extremism; and majority and minority rights. Methodologically, the research is mostly grounded in quantitative and experimental evidence, complemented with ethnographic, legal, institutional, and normative analyses.
Your tasks and duties
The postdoctoral fellows will conduct independent research and produce high-level international publications.
For the first position there is no predefined topic or approach; candidates have the opportunity to propose their own research proposal, provided that it fits and meaningfully complements the department’s current research programme.
The second position is part of a wider WZB effort to strengthen research in the area of digitalization, both as a substantive research topic, and as a methodological tool. Candidates for this position are invited to present a research proposal on a) how processes of digitalization impact and interact with the research fields covered by the department, or b) how digital means can be used to conduct innovative research in these fields. Examples include, but are not limited to, research on how digital means and media can be used to understand patterns of migration and integration, or on how opinion formation and mobilization with regard to immigration, populism, and religious fundamentalism take place online.
Your qualification profile
- Ph.D.-degree in a relevant discipline (obtained already or soon to be completed)
- Articles in recognized peer-reviewed journals, either published or, in case of a recent Ph.D., in an advanced stage of preparation
- Excellent methodological skills appropriate to the research topic
- Experience with primary data collection
- Excellent English writing and communication skills
- Knowledge of German is welcome but not required
- For position 2 in addition: excellent skills and experience in digital data processing
- Remuneration in accordance with Group E14 TVöD Bund (German civil service collective agreement)
- The WZB encourages the researchers to teach courses at universities in Berlin, and to participate in the various international exchange programs that the Centre is involved in
- The research of postdoctoral fellows is supported by research assistants, travel funding, access to small and medium-scale research funds for data collection, as well as opportunities to invite external collaborators and speakers
Equally qualified applicants with disabilities will be given preference. We value diversity and welcome all applications – irrespective of gender, nationality, ethnic or social origin, religion, disability, age, or sexual orientation. WZB expressly encourages women or persons with migration backgrounds to apply.
If you have any questions regarding the job opening, please contact Elisabeth von Bressensdorf or Melinda Biolchini (applications-mit(at)wzb.eu).
Information about the WZB can be found at https://www.wzb.eu/en and about the MIT research unit at https://www.wzb.eu/en/research/migration-and-diversity/migration-integration-transnationalization
Candidates are invited to send applications electronically in pdf-format (not more than 2 pdf-files) consisting of
- a letter of motivation
- copies of relevant certificates
- a synopsis/research proposal (2-3 pages) of the research they would like to conduct if they were to be chosen for the position
Please, send applications by 31 January 2021 to
Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung gGmbH (WZB) / WZB Berlin Social Science Centre
Prof. Ruud Koopmans, applications-mit(at)wzb.eu
quoting “postdoctoral researcher MIT” in the subject line