Postdoctoral Researcher (Ecologist) (m/f/d)
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Frankfurt am Main
For over 200 years the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) represents one of the most relevant institutions investigating nature and its diversity. Currently, scientists from more than 40 countries across 11 locations in Germany conduct research in the fields of biodiversity, earth system analysis and climate change.
Following its mission to “analyze and document biodiversity in earth system dynamics – to serve science and society” Senckenberg stands for curiosity-driven and application-oriented collections-based research.
The Department of River Ecologyand Conservation at Senckenberg in cooperation with the Faculty of Biology at the University of Duisburg-Essen jointly invite applications for a
Postdoctoral Researcher (Ecologist) (m/f/d)
(full time; 2 years with option for extension)
We are looking for an enthusiastic ecologist (m/f/d) with a background in community ecology, macroecology, metacommunities, and/or analysis of ecological time series. The applicant should have a strong track record of scientific publications.
The position is partly embedded in the International Long-Term Ecological Research (ILTER) network and the European Long-Term Ecosystem, critical zone and socio-ecological Research Infrastructure (eLTER RI). The eLTER RI comprise ~200 eLTER sites from over 20 participating European countries, providing access to a wide range of long-term biodiversity and environmental data. This provides a fantastic opportunity to become part of a global network of established researchers, postdocs, and graduate students working with long-term monitoring data.
The postdoc will investigate trends in ecological communities over time and space, and identify drivers of ecological variation. We can provide access to large-scale and long-term biodiversity and environmental datasets covering various terrestrial, freshwater and marine taxa groups depending on candidate interests. As an example, we have compiled more than 1,800 time series of stream invertebrates from 22 European countries which is among the most comprehensive biodiversity time series compilation in Europe. We encourage applications from ecologists with backgrounds in terrestrial and/or freshwater systems.
Your potential tasks:
- Analyzing biodiversity time series and accompanied environmental data to elucidate temporal trends in taxonomic and functional diversity and their drivers
- Contribute to the research of the eLTER PLUS project and conduct research on global change impacts on biodiversity within the framework of other projects in the department (i.e. restoration ecology, multiple stressor analyses, long-term ecological research)
- Data analysis, preparation of manuscripts and reports
- Involvement in national and international projects, including the support of the ILTER science chair
- Mentoring graduate students
- PhD in Ecology or a related field
- Solid background in (macro-) ecology and zoology (preferably invertebrates)
- Advanced skills in statistical analyses of large ecological datasets, preferably using R
- Strong track record of international publications
- Excellent written and oral communication and project presentation skills
Salary and benefits are according to a public service position in Germany (TV-H E13, 100%). The contract should ideally start around August 1st, 2022 and will initially be initially restricted to 2 years with a possible extension.
The Senckenberg Research Institute supports equal opportunity of men and women and strongly encourages women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of employment is in Gelnhausen, Germany. The employer is the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung.
Please send your application until June, 13th 2022, preferably by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document), mentioning the reference of this position (Ref. #04-22004) and include
- a letter outlining your suitability for the post,
- a detailed CV,
- certificates and credentials,
- contact details of 2 references,
- a list of publications and acquired funding to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
Applications can also be submitted via our online application tool: https://www.senckenberg.de/de/karriere/bewerbung/
For scientific enquiries please get in contact with Prof. Dr. Peter Haase, email@example.com.