Postdoctoral researcher (m/f/d)
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine (BNITM), Hamburg
The Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine (www.bnitm.de) is the largest Research Institute for Tropical Medicine in Germany and is the National Reference Centre for Tropical Pathogens, a WHO Collaborating Centre and member of the Leibniz Research Association.
The Department of Virology at the Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine in Hamburg invites applicants for a position starting as of 1st of May 2020 as
Postdoctoral researcher (m/f/d)
- EG 13 TV-AVH -
for the topic "Pathological host responses during Lassa virus infection". We are looking for a highly motivated candidate with experience in immunology and animal experiments (mouse). The project will characterize cellular immune responses during Lassa Fever. The position includes participation in projects on Lassa fever in West Africa and work with mice in a BSL-4 laboratory.
For further information see: https://www.bnitm.de/forschung/forschungsgruppen/molekularbiologie-und-immunologie/abteilung-virologie/pathogenesis/
- PhD in natural sciences
- profound experiences in immunology (experience in virological research is an advantage but not essential)
- practical experiences in molecular biology, animal experimentation (FELASA certificate desirable) and immunology
- willingness to work with small animals under conditions of safety levels 3 and 4
- independent and creative work
- excellent organisational skills and capacity to prioritize
- good communicate skills in English, in both, oral and written form
- team spirit and commitment to the working group and our partners in Africa
- fitness for service or travel in the tropics and readiness for short-term (about 4 weeks) research activities in Africa
- training of PhD students, interns and master students
The position is initially limited to two years and is remunerated in accordance with the German salary scheme for the public service (TV-AVH Hamburg).
Work in the safety laboratories requires aptitude and a successful security clearance (Ü1).
- an interesting and challenging job in a modern research institution
- integration into an open-minded and motivated team
- a central location at the Landungsbrücken, which is easily accessible by public transport
- 30 days holidays per year
- flexible and family-friendly working hours
- childcare allowance
- subsidy for HVV-ProfiTicket
- company pension scheme
- opportunities for further education and training
- special conditions in selected sports and fitness clubs
We support our employees in achieving a work-life balance and promote the professional equality of women and men. We strive to assist women in their scientific career, increase the number of women in research and reduce under-representation in all areas and positions in general. Applicants with disabilities will be given preference when equally qualified.
Please submit your application containing (preferably as a single pdf file):
- cover letter
- CV with full publication list
- a one page summary of previous work highlighting experience in immunology
- university certificates and list of examination marks
- contact details of 2 references
Please apply preferably online by 31.03.2020 via our online-application form: https://jobs.bnitm.de/Postdoctoral-researcher-mfd-eng-f80.html
Alternatively, you can send your documents using the reference "Postdoc-Virology“ by mail to: Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Human Resources Department, Bernhard-Nocht-Str. 74, 20359 Hamburg, Germany.
If you have any questions regarding the application process or the selection procedure, please contact Jeannette Meurer from the Human Resources Department (meurer(at)bnitm.de).
For further questions please contact Dr. Lisa Oestereich (oestereich(at)bnitm.de, +49 (0)40/42818-940) from the department of Virology.