Postdoctoral researcher (m/f/d)
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine (BNITM), Hamburg
The Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine (www.bnitm.de) is the largest Research Institute for Tropical Medicine in Germany and is the National Reference Centre for Tropical Pathogens, a WHO Collaborating Centre and member of the Leibniz Research Association.
The research group Spielmann (AG Malaria) at the Bernhard-Nocht-Institute for Tropical Medicine (BNITM, www.bnitm.de) invites applications for two exciting positions as a
Postdoctoral researcher (m/f/d)
to work on highly collaborative project with the research group of Richárd Bártfai (Department of Molecular Biology, Radboud University, Nijmegen, the Netherlands). The project, funded by a Leibniz Collaborative Excellence grant, aims at elucidating the functional architecture of the nucleus of malaria parasites using key techniques of the two groups. The project team will use genetics and cell biology combined with high end -omics approaches to draw on strong preliminary data to link local nuclear protein environments with key functions of the nucleus. Techniques used will include those employed by the two teams in recent work (Birnbaum et al., Science 2020; Hoeijmakers et al., Nucleic Acids Research, 2019). We are looking for a highly motivated candidates fascinated by cellular systems with experience in molecular and cellular biology.
- PhD in molecular life sciences
- up to 4 years of post doctoral experience (maternity: extension of 18 months for each child born after PhD or length of documented maternal leave if longer; paternity: extension matching documented time of parental leave)
- experience in molecular and cellular biology (experience in basic malaria research are an advantage but not essential; for the position spending time in the Bártfai lab experience in -omics/bioinformatics are an advantage)
- ability to work independently and in a team
- excellent organisational skills and capacity to prioritize
- good communicate skills in English, in both, oral and written form
- creativity and commitment to the research group
Starting date will be beginning of February 2021 or later. The positions are each limited to three years and are remunerated with E 13 TV-AVH according to the rules of the public service under the TV-AVH (collective agreement of the “Arbeitsrechtliche Vereinigung Hamburg“). One of the two positions will be based at the Bártfai lab for 24 months.
- an interesting and challenging job in a modern research institution
- integration into an open-minded and motivated team with a strong international collaborative focus
- a central location at the Landungsbrücken in a vibrant area of Hamburg that is easily accessible by public transport
- 30 days holidays per year
- flexible and family-friendly working hours
- childcare allowance
- subsidy for HVV-ProfiTicket
- company pension scheme
- opportunities for further education and training
- special conditions in selected sports and fitness clubs
We support our employees in achieving a work-life balance and promote the professional equality of women and men. We strive to assist women in their scientific career, increase the number of women in research and reduce under-representation in all areas and positions in general. Applicants with disabilities will be given preference when equally qualified.
Please submit your application containing (preferrably as a single pdf file):
- cover letter
- CV with full publication list
- a one page summary of previous work highlighting experience in molecular and cellular biology
- university certificates
- contact details of 2 references
Please send your application with the requested documents by 31.1.2021 preferably via our online-application form https://jobs.bnitm.de/Postdoctoral-researcher-mfd-eng-f117.html or by mail referring to „Postdoc_AG_Spielmann“ to Bernhard-Nocht-Institut für Tropenmedizin, Human Resources Department, Bernhard-Nocht-Str. 74, 20359 Hamburg.
If you have any questions regarding the application process or the selection procedure, please contact Katja Bünger from the Human Resources Department (buenger(at)bnitm.de).
For further questions please contact Dr. Tobias Spielmann (spielmann(at)bnitm.de, phone: +49 40 42818-486) from the department AG Spielmann.